Two 16-year-olds are among eight new faces chosen this week in the Indigenous Women’s All Stars squad to play a curtain-raiser to the 2013 Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on February 9.
Bathurst’s Kandy Kennedy, whose father William ‘Bubba’ Kennedy played for the Balmain Tigers and Belmont’s Nakia Davis-Welsh were named in a 20-person squad, which also includes 36-year-old Teresa Anderson from Springfield QLD.
The squad was chosen after a trial match at the Gold Coast last weekend and features twelve Queenslanders and eight NSW players.
NSW players in bold
Name (*debutants) - Age - Residence
1. Teresa Anderson - 36 - Springfield QLD
2. Kandy Kennedy* - 16 - Bathurst NSW
3. Bianca Ambrum - 23 - Innisfail QLD
4. Ashleigh Monkland* - 23 - Inala QLD
5. Mahalia Murphy* - 18 - Doonside NSW
6. Theresa Anderson - 33 - Hendra QLD
7. Amber Saltner - 22 - Bald Hills QLD
8. Rebecca Young - 30 - Newcastle NSW
9. Naomi Bobongie - 25 - Mackay QLD
10. Caitlin Moss* - 19 - Rockhampton QLD
11. Emma Young* - 24 - Newcastle NSW
12. Ashleigh Singleton - 25 - Cairns QLD
13. Natalie Gala - 19 - Bundaberg QLD
14. Elsja Mosby - 22 - Injinoo QLD
15. Sarah Sailor - 20 - Injinoo QLD
16. Eunice Grimes - 26 - Waterloo NSW
17. Candice Clay - 21 - Maryland NSW
18. Lavina Phillips* - 28 - Alexandria NSW
19. Rosie Parsons* - 22 - Mount Isa QLD
20. Nakia Davis-Welsh* - 16 - Belmont NSW
Coach: Dennis Moran; Assistant Coach: Dean Widders
As well as the Women's Indigenous All Stars match, the NSW Under 16s will face the QLD Under 16s in a curtain raiser also, with this side set to be named following a selection camp at the NCIE this coming weekend.