You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

By Chloe Olivian at North Sydney Oval

Newtown secured the Frank Hyde Shield after they defeated North Sydney 38-16 at North Sydney Oval last Sunday afternoon.

​The Newtown Jets started the season poorly, winning just one game in the opening nine rounds of the competition.

​But with a number of players coming back from injury, the Bluebags defeated the Bears early last month and have since beaten Wyong, Illawarra, Mounties and North Sydney once again.

​From fighting to avoid the dreaded wooden spoon, Newtown is now in the top eight while the same can’t be said for the North Sydney side.

​The Bears sit in last place with just two wins to their credit against Wyong and Newcastle. In fact, they have won just once since March.

​It didn’t get any better for the Bears as Newtown opened the scoring in the fourth minute when Tautau Moga latched onto an intercept and raced 80 metres to score in the corner.

​With a healthy crowd in attendance under cold and wet conditions, the Jets extended their lead to 10-0 when Arana Taumata produced some fancy footwork to score under the posts.

Daniel Mortimer added the extras to make it 10-0 after 12 minutes.

​It was all too easy for the Newtown side when they went in a few minutes later when Mortimer scored under the posts.

He added the extras to have the visitors ahead 16-0.

​The Bluebags extended their advantage to 20-0 after winger Josh Davis scored in the corner.

​North Sydney finally got on the board when Joe Uluibau scored but drama was to follow when Ray Moujalli was sent off for a dangerous tackle on Bears lock-forward Duncan Low. The Norths player was stretchered off the field.

​With the Jets down to 12-men, North Sydney replied with a try to winger Curtis Johnston in the 29th minute.

​And the Bears were in again when hooker Matt Hyland scored.

Kurt Aldridge added the goal to make it 20-16 at the half-time break.

​The second half was a real arm wrestle in the tough conditions but it was the Jets that went further ahead in the 56th minute when Sio Siua Taukeiaho scored after a break from Reuben.

Mortimer added the kick to push the Jets out to 26-16.

​With heavy rain greeting the players, Newtown was in again when Kurt Kara scored adjacent to the posts.

Mortimer’s conversion saw the score at 32-16 with 13 minutes remaining.

​It was game over in the 73rd minute when Samisoni Langi crossed in the corner.

Mortimer kicked a magnificent goal from the touchline to end the scoring for the day.

​Newtown returns to Henson Park to do battle with the Newcastle Knights on Saturday while North Sydney will be looking to bounce back when they meet Manly-Warringah in the local derby clash at Brookvale Oval on the same day.

Newtown Jets 38 (D Mortimer, S Langi, T Moga, K Kara, S Taukeiaho, A Taumata, J Davis tries; D Mortimer 5 goals) def. North Sydney Bears 16 (C Johnston, J Uluibau, M Hyland tries; K Aldridge 2 goals) at North Sydney Oval.

Click here to view the VB NSW Cup ladder

Click here to view the other VB NSW Cup results

Click here to view the VB NSW Cup draw