You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Wyong Roos defeated the Newtown Jets 28-12, in a highly-entertaining game at Muswellbrook.

Samisoni Langi was outstanding for the Roos in attack for the entire 80 minutes and bagged a double in the process, whilst Nene McDonald scored consecutive tries within seven minutes to take the game away from the Jets.

The Jets had numerous chances, but they lacked any execution and constantly failed to convert field position into points.

This was also the first game in Roos colours for Suaia Matagi after his mid-season transfer from the New Zealand Warriors.

The opening 20 minutes belonged to the Jets in terms of field position and possession but the Roos goal line defence was exceptional and they did not concede an early try.

Roos were then rewarded for their defence with the opening try of the game through Langi, who found his way through multiple Jets players to make the score 6-0.

A costly horror kick from Dallas Wells that went flying out on the full gifted Wyong their second try as Bennett Leslie powered through some lackluster Jets defence to score in the 30th minute.

Tyler Cornish’s missed the conversion after hitting the post and crossbar with the score remaining 10-0.

The Jets provided a frustrating final five minutes to the half. It included a try scoring opportunity going into touch, an attacking fifth tackle play not being kicked and a dropped ball on first tackle whilst on the attack.

It was a disappointing half for the Jets who trailed 10-0 at halftime.

The second half began like the first, with the Jets dominating field position.

This time, the Jets capitalised to score within the opening seven minutes when Todd Murphy was in support, receiving an offload to race through and score a try to cut the deficit to 10-6.

On the following set, the Jets looked to have scored back-to-back tries but were ruled for a forward pass.

With the game in the balance, McDonald scored two important tries in four minutes for the Roos, which completely halted the Jets momentum.

The first try came unexpectedly after McDonald received an offload to simply put the ball down. He then scored his second after latching on to an inside ball from a dancing Langi. Both conversions were missed and the Roos had an 18-6 lead.

The Jets were back in range when Ray Moujalli crashed over next to the posts after receiving a pass from Pat Politoni in the 64th minute.

Omar Slaimankhel was sent to the sin bin for repeated penalties with ten minutes remaining, leaving the Roos a man short at such a crucial time. One minute later, Jets centre Sami Sauiluma was put on report for a very ugly spear tackle.

Murphy made a courageous try saving tackle with seven minutes remaining before Langi missed his field goal attempt a few tackles later.

The missed field goal was a blessing in disguise for Langi who scored a runaway try in the left corner just one minute later that eventuated to be the match-winning try.

Matagi powered over under the posts to score his first try in a Roos jersey, which completed a 28-12 win that came as a reward for their early defensive work.

The Roos will make the trip to New Zealand next week to face the Warriors, whilst the Illawarra Cutters will host the Newtown Jets at WIN Stadium.


Wyong Roos 28 (S Langi 2, N MacDonald 2, B Leslie, S Matagi tries; T Cornish, J Siejka goals) bt Newtown Jets 12 (T Murphy, R Moujalli tries; N Gardner 2 goals)

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners