You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Cabramatta Two Blues scored their best win of the Ron Massey Cup season when they upset defending Premiers Mounties 18-14 at New Era Stadium last Saturday night.

In one of the best matches played in the Massey Cup this season, Mounties looked the goods early when Jordan Martin scored from a John Kennedy cut-out pass and Sage Wilder crashed over from close range to give Mounties a 10-nil lead.

Two Blues winger Brent Anderson got Cabramatta on the board just before half-time from a clever Ernest Alo grubber to narrow the gap to 10-6 at the break.

When Mounites interchange player Mitch Beggs scored six minutes into the second half from a basic Cabra knock on from a scrum, it appeared that the visitors were asserting their authority at 14-6 to the good.

However, in their most committed display of the year, Eddie Flahey’s men were not to be denied.

Interchange prop Zac Wedesweiler carried three defenders over the line to score, before interchange hooker Jeremy Safi finished off great build-up play to give Cabramatta the lead at 18-14, 16 minutes into the second half.

There was no scoring for the last 24 minutes of the match – with Cabramatta absorbing tremendous Mounties attack in the closing stages.

The Two Blues held on for their best win of the year; the last Mounties attack of the night finished with a lost ball in goal with less than two minutes left.

A miracle try to winger Alex Nicholls-O’Neill with two minutes left saw the Asquith Magpies get out of jail, with a 32-30 win over a gallant Windsor Wolves at Storey Park last Sunday.

Asquith had to come from behind three times during the match.

Windsor shot out of the blocks with superb tries to Peter Betros from an Aaron Farkas pass, then Jordon Stratton and Luke Atchison from close range to lead 18-nil after just 13 minutes.

Asquith’s first comeback saw the hosts score three converted tries of their own – to Jeco Makatoa, Brad Wall, and O’Neill from a Jack Hawkins break – to level up at 18-all after 27 minutes.

Wolves winger Riki Willie then regained the lead for the visitors with a try five minutes from the break to give Windsor a 24-18 lead at half-time.

Replacement Asquith winger Hugh Tomkins finished off a Makatoa break in the corner, before centre Adam Kalcina completed the Magpies’ second comeback to score three tackles after a spilt bomb by Windsor fullback Tori Willie, giving Asquith a 26-24 lead with 20 minutes left.

A turnover by Makatoa from a 20 metre restart saw centre Marli Sini score wide out for Farkas to convert and a 30-26 Windsor lead with 10 minutes left.

As time was running out Windsor appeared to be holding on, before a chip kick in behind the Wolves defence was brilliantly gathered by Nicholls-O’Neill to regather and score under the post with two minutes left.  Hawkins converted and Asquith’s third and decisive comeback was complete.

An Adrian Davis masterclass saw St Marys go back into the top eight with a 32-22 win over Concord-Burwood Wolves at St Marys Leagues Stadium last Sunday.

After the Wolves shot out to an 8-nil lead after 10 minutes, with tries to Cameron Eyles and Sione Fukofuka, Davis stepped up for the Saints and took charge.

The class five-eighth had a hand in five of the Saints’ six tries – with lead-up work for each of centre Tom Eisenhuth’s hat-trick of tries.

Davis also landed five goals from six with the boot – in stark contrast to the Wolves’ Aaron Booth’s poor return of one from five attempts.  Henry Seumanu scored a double for the Saints.

Wentworthville stayed at the top of the Massey Cup table with a thumping 46-18 win over Hills District Bulls at Ringrose Park last Sunday.

After David Sisifa and Jake Butler-Fleming got early tries to give Wentworthville and early 12-nil lead, class Bulls half James Boustani inspired a comeback in his return match from injury.

Boustani scored a try and set up a try for winger Liam Walker to level scores at 12-all after 24 minutes.

That was as far as the Bulls got as the Magpies asserted their stamp on the match with tries to Yileen ‘Buddy’ Gordon, Jordan Galloway and Nick Walker, giving Wentworthville a commanding 30-12 lead at the break.

Promising young Magpies outside back Jack Miller finished the scoring with his try six minutes from time to complete the impressive Wentworthville win.

In another last minute miracle, a freakish last-gasp try to Tui Oloapu with less than 30 seconds left saw the Guildford Owls pip an unlucky Blacktown Workers 22-18 at McCredie Park last Sunday.

After Blacktown led 12-10 at half-time in a tight contest, the lead changed hands twice in the second half as both teams exchanged converted tries in the second stanza to give the Workers an 18-16 lead with less than 15 minutes left.

Just as it seemed that Blacktown were finally going to win a close contest, a long break by Mason Farrell with last play of the match saw the winger put in a central kick that saw Oloapu win the race to the ball and score the winning try.

It was Guildford’s first win in five games and the fourth Workers loss by four points or less this season – three of those losses in the last 60 seconds of matches.

Finally, the Kingsgrove Colts euphoria of their first win in two years came crashing back to earth as they were thrashed 86-6 by the Auburn Warriors at Kogarah Jubilee Oval last Sunday.

The Warriors posted 16 tries in the rout, with Nesi Mataitonga posting a hat-trick of tries.  Ben Dakuwaqa, Addison Demetriou, Jake Kamire and Abraham El Zakhem all scored two tries each.

Demetriou added seven goals with the boot for another personal tally of 22 points.

Wests had the bye and share the lead with Wentworthville on 16 points, with Mounties and Concord-Burwood still in the top four on 14 points.  The Colts are again a clear last on four points.

Another full round is set down for this weekend, with four matches on Saturday and two games on Sunday. 

The long anticipated ‘Blue Mountains Big Blue’ between Windsor and St Marys on Saturday night at Windsor and the Concord-Burwood versus Wentworthville match at Goddard Park on Sunday are the pick of the weekend games.

Triple H FM returns to calling the Sydney Shield with the Belrose v Wentworthville match at Lionel Watts Reserve this Sunday from 3pm.

Also, the popular League program “View From The Hill” returns to the airwaves with its debut on Triple H FM this Saturday at Midday.

Both “View From The Hill” and Sunday’s live call can be heard on 100.1FM, via live web streaming at, or via the TuneIn App.

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners