You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Competition - Intrust Super Premiership NSW
Round - Round 02
Teams – Mounties v Wyong Roos
Date – 12th of March 2016
Venue – GIO Stadium, Canberra ACT
Photographer – Mark Nolan
Description –

The Mt. Pritchard Mounties have come from behind to prevail 30-28 winners in an absolute thriller at Aubrey Keech Reserve. 

The Newtown Jets began the game full of confidence with their forward pack getting through a lot of early work with the ball and in defence. 

The jets were the first to score in the 12th Minute through winger Jacob Gargon who was on the receiving end of a brilliant cut out pass by five-eighth Josh Cleeland. Kurt Capewell couldn't convert. 

The visitors were in again just prior to the 20 minute mark when halfback Fa'Manu Brown threw a  smart dummy to fool the defence, slipping through to score s four pointer close to the posts. The kick was converted by Capewell to make it a 10-0 lead. 

Brown took the line on again just three minutes later from close range, beating a few defenders before dumping it out the back to back rower Anthony Moraitis, who scooped it up and dove over out wide. Capewell added the two to give the Jets a 16-0 lead. 

Mounties had plenty of opportunities to score their points in the last ten minutes of the half, forcing a dropout and marching up the field off the back of some late half penalties. 

The homeside couldn't get through the Jets defence so halfback Sam Williams opted for a cross field kick on the halftime siren which found flanker Alofi Mataele, who put the pill down for their first for the afternoon. A great sideline conversion from Williams saw them trail 16-6 at the break. 

Mounties had the first chance to score in the first set of the second half, when they rolled down the field comfortably, before a Williams last tackle kick was dropped by Kato Ottio. 

The next set saw the Jets receive a penalty up the other end of the field, with the bluebags opting to take the two points. Capewell punted it over from 30m out, extending the lead to 18-6.

A Mounties error coming out of trouble gifted the Jets the ball in good field position. Newtown took full advantage of the cheap turn over running a nice blind-side play on the second tackle which saw Moraitis go over for his second in the 50th minute. Capewell converted from the sideline to extend the lead to 24-6.

Mounties hit back in the 59th minute when Ottio intercepted a pass to run 35m to score under the sticks. Williams added the extras to narrow the gap to two converted tries. 

The 68th minute saw Mounties rake Adam Clysdale split the Newtown defence in the middle third, before linking up with Williams, who finished it off by dodging desperate defenders to score under the posts. Williams converted his own try. 

The Homeside crossed again in the 72nd minute when Shaun Fensom crashed over close to the line, courtesy of a nice short ball. Williams converted to level the scores at 24-all.

The jets hit back in the 77th minute through Gargon, who scooped up a poor pass from his playmaker, to beat defenders on the outside, and dive over in the corner. Capewell couldn't convert the try and the score remained 28-24.

Mounties turned it on in their final set of the game, shifting it out wide to Ottio who made a 25m break before linking up with back rower Jarrad Kennedy who got to the line to level the game. Sam Williams converted the try on the siren to see the Mounties run out 30-28 victors. 

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners