RESULTS | Sydney Metropolitan Womens Rugby League Finals Wk 1
Week one of the Sydney Metropolitan Women’s Rugby League Semi-Finals Division 1 Grand Finals was held over the weekend with some entertaining Rugby League played at Norford Park. The Elimination Final was a closely-contested match for much of the first half before the Cronulla-Caringbah side broke away with two quick tries before half-time. A dominant display in the second half saw Cronulla-Caringbah run away with a 54 – 10 win over Berkeley Vale to progress to the second week of the finals.
The Major Preliminary Final matched up the 2015 Premiers, Greenacre, against a Redfern All Blacks team who have been consistent throughout the year. After getting out to a sizable lead in the first half, Redfern were starved of possession and field position in the second half and could not hold out the repeated attack from the Greenacre side. Redfern finally got some possession and were working towards reducing the Greenacre lead but the Tigers finished the match too strong for Redfern on this occasion.
Division 1 Results:
· Cronulla 54 (S Hammond 3, A Ferguson 2, K Mullaly 2, J Etherden, R Ewe, L Tauariki tries; M Studdon 6 goals) def Berkeley Vale 10 (C Nathan, J Wolfe tries; M Howard goal)
· Greenacre 32 (S Mailangi 2, R McGregor 2, C Leaupepe, C-J Morgan, H Tipene tries; R McGregor 2 goals) def Redfern All Blacks 24 (N Welsh 2, L Phillips, E Gillogly, J Allende tries; N Welsh 2 goals)
Week 2 Division 1 Semi-Finals: Venue Kareela Oval
· Major Semi-Final: Mounties v Greenacre Tigers
· Minor Semi-Final: Redfern All Blacks v Cronulla-Caringbah
Week 1 Division 2 Semi-Finals: Venue Terry Lamb Complex (tbc)
· Major Semi-Final: Berala v Glenmore Park
· Minor Semi-Final: Minchinbury v Penrith Waratahs
Final Division 2 Ladder
1. Berala 24
2. Glenmore Park 23*
3. Minchinbury 19*
4. Penrith Waratahs 10
5. Chester Hill 6
6. Maroubra 2
*note: Glenmore Park had 4 points deducted for playing an ineligible player, Minchinbury had 2 points deducted for a Code of Conduct Breach.
Search for the latest social media updates on this competition and women’s Rugby League using #SMWRL or #WomensRL