CROSS' CALL | Women's Interstate Challenge side overview
NSW Harvey Norman Women's Interstate Challenge coach Ben Cross runs the eye over his squad ahead of Sunday's clash with the Maroons - see below a player-by-player account, an insight into who's set to star for the State at the weekend.
1. Samantha Bremner – Sam has immense speed, and a great ability to get between defenders and quality support play. Sam’s defence positioning is very good.
2. Jessica Sergis – The debutant has size and athleticism, good overhead catches of the ball, so a good target to kick to. Jessica is strong in contact in defence, and has a great work-rate.
3. Corban McGregor – Corban has a freakish ability to skip to the outside of a defender. She is a strong dummy half runner, and gets our sets started well, and works in well with her winger in defence.
4. Isabelle Kelly – Isabelle has strong dummy half carries start off our sets well, a strong straight-line runner. Good ball-and-all defender that gets in tight to the attacker.
5. Nakia Davis-Welsh – Has the ability to evade defenders well with speed, can find a hole in the defence line. Good positioning in defence and plenty of effort on kick chase.
6. Caitlin Moran – Boasts agility and speed with a strong running game – and as a half that’s a massive threat first, ball-player second. Strong kick chase and will scramble hard in defence for the team.
7. Maddie Studdon – Great organization skills and communication to her players, smart kicking game, will follow a plan. Has a terrific combo with Kezie Apps, with short passes leading her onto the opposition halves.
8. Ruan Sims – Leader with actions, strong ball carrier and front on defender that will plug the holes in the middle of the field. Never lets anyone down.
9. Rebecca Riley – A clever player, quality ball off the ground to forwards and halves, knows when to run out of dummy half when a marker is down. Always puts her body on the line in defence.
10. Elianna Walton – Brave player. Our mongrel in the team, leads our aggression levels to bash the opponents both in attack and defence.
11. Kezie Apps – Tough as nails, runs a great hole-line and threatens the opposition on every play. Doubles as a body guard for her halfback in defence and chases hard on kicks downfield.
12. Talesha Quinn – Athletic big ball runner, a body guard for her inside half. Excellent at staying square in the line, and strong in defence.
13. Simaima Taufa – Powerful ball carrier, targets spaces looking for the gap – not the player. Strong in defence, a tireless worker.
14. Lavina Phillips – A clever, and versatile player. Can cover 6, 7 and 9 if need be. Always a threat close to the try line, aggressive in defence and will always turn up for her teammates.
15. Rebecca Young – A tireless worker for the team, strong carries solid middle defence, ‘owns’ the ‘A and B’ marker area of the field. Has an ability to unload a deft pass short to her fellow forwards.
16. Ruby Ewe – A powerful ball runner and aggressive defender, will do what’s asked of her. A genuine ‘team player.’
17. Vanessa Foliaki – Edge and a middle threat, good leg speed and power, Vanessa is a very smart player. Confident in defence with an aggressive attitude.
18. Jasmin Allende – Strong carries in the middle and smart defender there too. Good at filling the space and keeps a solid middle defence line.