The Asquith Magpies, East Campbelltown Eagles, St Marys Saints and Mounties account for 13 of the Sydney Shield's best 17 players from the regular season, named in the 2017 Sydney Shield Team of the Year.
When considering Wentworthville pair Jack Miller and Nicki Toomata, the top five teams are heavily represented ahead of what is set to be a closely-contested finals series. In particular, Jake Pickering and Christian Bate have been standouts and both fullbacks had to be included in the side, while young gun halfback Todd Sapienza has the rare honour of being the only player to score more than 200 points in an NSWRL competition this year (alongside Nathan Cleary's effort in the NRL). At just 19 years of age, Sapienza will be one to watch in future seasons.
As Mounties reached a second consecutive minor premiership in the competition, co-coaches Grant Mitchell and Ron Harrison are deservedly awarded dual Coach of the Year honours.
2017 Sydney Shield Team of the Year:
- Jake Pickering (Asquith Magpies)
- Alex Nicholls-O’Neill (Asquith Magpies)
- Ben Dooley (Mounties)
- Ben Baker (East Campbelltown Eagles)
- Fuimano Enese (St Marys Saints)
- Aiden Glanville (St Marys Saints)
- Todd Sapienza (Guildford Owls)
- Tyler McCann (St Marys Saints)
- Shae Jarvis (Asquith Magpies)
- Frederick Tevaga (East Campbelltown Eagles)
- Jack Miller (Wentworthville Magpies)
- Mason Talolua (East Campbelltown Eagles)
- Nicki Toomata (Wentworthville Magpies)
- Christian Bate (Belrose Eagles)
- Winstone Asotasi (Mounties)
- Sonny Bristow (Mounties)
- Vinny Ngaro (Asquith Magpies)
Coaches: Grant Mitchell and Ron Harrison (Mounties)