Halfback Jake Clifford has been ruled out of the Cowboys side to face Penrith on Friday night with an ankle injury.
Meanwhile Cowboys star Jason Taumalolo is firming as a starter on Friday night, included in the team's top 13 when North Queensland updated their team list 24 hours before kick-off. He has been diagnosed with a partial tear in his plantar fascia and the club said the Tongan international was a week-to-week proposition.
Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett announced on Thursday morning that Sam Burgess had been ruled out of Friday's clash with the Broncos in Brisbane.
Burgess (quad strain) has been replaced by Junior Tatola as one of the starting props.
Meanwhile, a hamstring injury to Tautau Moga will give 18-year-old Bradman Best his NRL debut for Newcastle against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown on Saturday.
Best is expected to start on the left wing outside Hymel Hunt, who will move to centre to replace Moga.
Broncos powerhouse Tevita Pangai jnr has been suspended for five weeks for a crusher-style tackle. He joins Jake Turpin on the sidelines, the playmaker banned for two weeks for dangerous contact.
The return of Roosters skipper Boyd Cordner (calf) has been delayed at least another week with the back-rower left out of the team's 21-man squad to face St George Illawarra. Prop Siosuia Taukeiaho is back after his own calf complaint.
David Fusitu'a and Patrick Herbert are back from hamstring injuries while Issac Luke also returns for the Warriors after a three-match suspension. Stephen Kearney on Thursday said lock Jazz Tevaga trained well this week and should be fine to play after battling through injury last week.
Sharks fullback Matt Moylan's ongoing hamstring woes will keep him from taking on the Warriors but prop Andrew Fifita has been named on the bench for Cronulla following a one-week absence with a knee problem.
Canberra forward Joe Tapine suffered a rib injury in Saturday's match against the Storm and won't play against Manly on Sunday.
The Late Mail
Cowboys v Panthers, Friday 6pm at 1300SMILES Stadium
Cowboys: Jake Clifford is out of the Cowboys side with an ankle injury, while Jason Taumalolo (foot) is set to play after being included in the starting 13 on Thursday night. Gideon Gela-Mosby was the other player to drop out of the squad 24 hours before kick-off. Matt Scott suffered a mild stroke on Sunday and is unlikely to play again this season. Scott Bolton replaces the Cowboys legend in the starting line-up. Jordan Kahu suffered an eye-socket injury last week but has been named in the centres with Coen Hess going to the bench.
Panthers: Josh Mansour is out with a back injury, replaced on the wing by Stephen Crichton. Jarome Luai returns from an eye injury on the bench. Isaah Yeo has been named to start and Moses Leota is on the interchange, though the pair swapped places last round. Brent Naden will need to pass concussion protocols after copping a heavy head knock last week. Hame Sele and Malakai Watene-Zelezniak were omitted 24 hours before kick-off.
Broncos v Rabbitohs, Friday 7.55pm at Suncorp Stadium
Broncos: Tevita Pangai jnr and Jake Turpin are gone due to suspension but back-rower Matt Gillett (back) and Alex Glenn (knee) are set to play. Halfback Sean O'Sullivan will make his first NRL appearance since suffering a hamstring injury against Cronulla in round 16. Shaun Fensom and Tesi Niu were cut from the extended squad on Thursday. The Broncos have lost only one of their past seven games.
Rabbitohs: The out-of-sorts side will be without the services of Sam Burgess, who aggravated a quad injury last weekend but had been named to play. Burgess was ruled out on Thursday and will be replaced in the starting side by Junior Tatola. The new man on the bench is Tom Amone. Centre Braidon Burns is out with a hamstring injury and his place is taken by Kyle Turner. A knee injury to prop Tom Burgess allows Liam Knight to move into the starting team and Mark Nicholls to come onto the bench. Connor Tracey was omitted from the squad on Thursday. The Rabbitohs have not defeated the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium since 2015.
Sharks v Warriors, Saturday 3pm at PointsBet Stadium
Sharks: Matt Moylan's hamstring injury means Josh Dugan goes to fullback and Ronaldo Mulitalo starts on the wing. Andrew Fifita is back from a knee injury on the interchange bench. Sharks five-eighth Shaun Johnson requires seven points for 1000 NRL points.
Warriors: David Fusitu'a and Patrick Herbert return from hamstring injuries while Isaac Luke is back as the starting hooker after suspension. Jazz Tevaga's ankle injury will be monitored throughout the week but he's expected to play. Gerard Beale's season is over after suffering a fractured kneecap against the Roosters. The Warriors have only won two from 12 against top-eight opponents in 2019.
Wests Tigers v Knights, Saturday 5.30pm at Campbelltown Stadium
Wests Tigers: The unfortunate ACL injury to Jacob Liddle opens the door for Josh Reynolds to return to first grade at hooker. Luke Garner is back after a week's suspension, Paul Momirovski replaces Tommy Talau at centre and Robert Jennings has been recalled as the starting winger. Tigers coach Michael Maguire has won nine from nine against Newcastle across his coaching career.
Knights: A hamstring injury to Tautau Moga will give 18-year-old Bradman Best a chance to make his NRL debut for Newcastle against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown on Saturday. Best is expected to start on the left wing outside Hymel Hunt, who will move to centre to replace Moga. Danny Levi comes in at hooker to replace Connor Watson (knee). Tim Glasby sat out last weekend's game due to concussion protocols and has been named among the reserves this round. Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga has scored four tries in his last four games.
Dragons v Roosters, Saturday 7.35pm at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Dragons: Ben Hunt, Patrick Kaufusi and Tyson Frizell must pass concussion protocols to play after failing HIAs last weekend. Jonus Pearson comes in on the wing at the expense of Mikaele Ravalawa, while Jackson Ford has been promoted to the starting side. The Dragons have lost all five games against top-four opposition this year.
Roosters: Siosiua Taukeiaho has been named on the bench following a calf injury and should be right to go provided there are no training mishaps. The Roosters are playing it safe with Boyd Cordner (calf), who will miss at least another week. The Roosters have won four of their past five games against the Dragons.
Storm v Titans, Sunday 2pm at AAMI Park
Storm: Brandon Smith returns from an ankle injury via the interchange. Curtis Scott has been named among the reserves as he nears a comeback from a fractured foot but may find it hard to displace Justin Olam as Will Chambers's centre partner. The Storm have not lost three consecutive games at AAMI Park since 2012.
Titans: Winger Anthony Don is named on the reserves and could be called into the team having gotten through his first hit-out after a shoulder injury in the Intrust Super Cup last week. Jarrod Wallace returns after missing last week's game for personal reasons, while Nathan Peats goes to lock with Jai Arrow at prop. Bryce Cartwright has been relegated to the reserves. The Titans have conceded 206 points in their past five games.
Raiders v Sea Eagles, Sunday 4.05pm at GIO Stadium
Raiders: Joseph Tapine's rib injury means Ryan Sutton reclaims the No.13 jersey. Hudson Young has taken Sutton's place on the bench. The Raiders have won eight of their past 10 games.
Sea Eagles: No changes to the team that beat the Tigers last week, with Curtis Sironen (hamstring) and Brad Parker (knee) kept on ice for another round. The Sea Eagles have scored 20 points or more in their past six games against the Raiders.
The Casualty Ward
- Tevita Pangai jnr (suspended, finals week 3)
- Matt Gillett (back, round 23)
- Jake Turpin (suspension, round 25)
- Alex Glenn (knee, round 23)
- Tom Dearden (ankle, TBC)
- Richie Kennar (shoulder, indefinite)
- Jack Bird (knee, season)
- Joe Tapine (rib cartilage, round 24-25)
- Brad Abbey (knee, season)
- Christian Crichton (ankle, finals)
- Sauaso Sue (knee, season)
- Marcelo Montoya (knee, season)
Matt Moylan is set to miss one to two weeks to recover from his latest hamstring injury. Team-mate Chad Townsend said he expects the Sharks won't rush the custodian back onto the field given the nature of the problem.
- Andrew Fifita (knee, round 23)
- Matt Moylan (hamstring, round 24-25)
- Dale Copley (knee, indefinite)
- Ryan James (knee, season)
- Shannon Boyd (shoulder, season)
- Brad Parker (knee, round 24)
- Curtis Sironen (hamstring, round 24)
- Albert Hopoate (knee, season)
- Toafofoa Sipley (knee, season)
- Brandon Smith (ankle, round 23)
- Curtis Scott (foot, round 23)
- Christian Welch (knee, season)
- Albert Vete (shoulder, season)
- Tim Glasby (concussion, round 23)
- James Gavet (hamstring, round 23)
- Connor Watson (knee, round 24)
- Edrick Lee (arm, round 25)
- Beau Fermor (ACL, season)
- Phoenix Crossland (foot, season)
- Slade Griffin (knee, season)
- Nathan Ross (pelvis, retirement)
- Jake Clifford (ankle, round 24)
- Jordan Kahu (eye socket, round 23)
- Jason Taumalolo (foot, round 23)
- Ben Hampton (biceps, round 23-25)
- Justin O'Neill (spleen, indefinite)
- Matt Scott (mild stroke, indefinite)
- Te Maire Martin (brain bleed, season)
- Mitch Dunn (shoulder, season)
- Kurt Baptiste (knee, season)
- Ray Stone (ankle, round 24)
- Josh Hoffman (shoulder, indefinite)
- Blake Ferguson (knee infection, indefinite)
- Kaysa Pritchard (retired)
- Jarome Luai (eye, round 23)
- Stephen Crichton (ankle, round 23)
- Brent Naden (head knock, round 23)
- Wayde Egan (shoulder, indefinite)
- Jack Hetherington (sternum, indefinite)
- Caleb Aekins (foot, season)
- Tim Grant (pectoral, season)
- Jed Cartwright (shoulder, season)
- Tyrone May (stood down)
- Sam Burgess (quad, round 24)
- Alex Johnston (knee, round 24-25)
- Tom Burgess (MCL sprain, round 25-finals week 2)
- Braidon Burns (hamstring tear, finals week 2)
- George Burgess (suspension, finals)
- Greg Inglis (shoulder, retired)
- Tyson Frizell (head knock, round 23)
- Patrick Kaufusi (head knock, round 23)
- Ben Hunt (head knock, round 23)
- Jordan Pereira (neck/head, indefinite)
- Tariq Sims (groin, season)
- Jack de Belin (stood down)
- Siosuia Taukeiaho (calf, round 23)
- Boyd Cordner (calf, round 23)
- Ryan Hall (knee, round 24-25)
- Jake Friend (arm, finals week 1)
- Karl Lawton (shoulder, round 23-24)
- David Fusitu'a (hamstring, round 23)
- Tohu Harris (knee, indefinite)
- Jazz Tevaga (ankle, TBC)
- Gerard Beale (knee, season)
- Nathaniel Roache (knee, season)
Josh Aloiai and Ben Matulino's seasons are over due to respective hand and knee injuries, while Robbie Farah remains a slim chance to play again before retiring.
- Robbie Farah (fractured tibia, indefinite)
- Moses Mbye (hip flexor, round 23-24)
- Mahe Fonua (foot, round 24-25)
- Josh Aloiai (hand, season)
- Jacob Liddle (knee, season)
- Russell Packer (foot, season)
- Ben Matulino (knee, season)