You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Live coverage of the first week of finals in the Ron Massey Cup.

Wentworthville Magpies vs Asquith Magpies

Wentworthville Magpies have sounded a strong warning to every other finals contender for the Ron Massey Cup after demolishing Asquith Magpies 38-4 at HE Laybutt Field today.

It was a welcome return for the Minor Premier after they lost their final game of the season to Mounties and they now earn themselves a week off and move through to a Preliminary Final.

The Magpies were in control of the match after leading 26-4 at halftime with last year's Ron Massey Cup Player of the Year Beau Henry having a strong game after grabbing a try and landing all seven goal attempts.  

St Marys v Mounties

Andrew Jackson

St Marys have stormed home to secure a 32-26 comeback victory over Mounties in the first Qualifying Final of the 2019 Ron Massey Cup.

An early double from Anthony Layoun powered Mounties to a 20-6 lead as they looked to take a giant step towards winning their third title in five years.

But they couldn’t hold out a fast-finishing Saints outfit who stood tall in defence in the second half.

Mounties now play the winner of the Magpies and Cabramatta clash next week in a do-or-die game.

Layoun starred early, scoring Mounties’ first two tries of the game.

The opener came when the Lebanese International took the line on and stepped back inside to score.

Saints went over next, five-eighth John Faimu turning it back inside for a charging Marli Sini who powered through.

Soon after Layoun had his second, slicing through off a lovely ball out of dummy-half from Sam Duggan.

Mounties pushed further ahead through Roman Ioelu but it was winger Edward Aiono who was deserving of the accolades after busting several tackles and creating the space of Ioelu to score.

Jett Karam then finished off a nice left-side raid to see Mounties go out to a 20-6 lead.

But St Marys didn’t lie down and within 10 minutes had drawn level. Thomas Skinner was backing up in support to score after Kurt Falls put Jake Toby through the middle.

Brilliant footwork close to the line from Faimu then saw Vasilli Tsikrikas crash over.

The home side eventually hit the lead with 25 minutes remaining when the ball sat up in goal for Thomas Romer.

Saints had to withstand numerous sets on their own line as Mounties continually threatened to set up a tense finish.

Yet they held strong in defence and were rewarded when Sini burst through on the right edge and found a speedy Jake Maizen in support, who ran 70 metres to score the final try of the match.

Dylan Faud was sent to the sin bin in the final minute of the game, allowing Mounties to march up field and score through Loelu but it had no impact on the result.

Western Suburbs v Cabramatta

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners