You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Tumut Blues have claimed the Maher Cup after defeating Gundagai Tigers 30-12 in a hard-fought clash to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the historic trophy at Twickenham Oval in Tumut.

Errors featured early on in the game with a mistake in the play the ball gifting the Blues attacking field position early. The home side were able to capitalise and get on the board first through their Captain Zac Masters who crashed over to score the first try. Jacob Toppin converted to give Tumut a 6-0 lead.

The second try of the game was set up beautifully by centre Tevita Aroha-Tuinauvai who drew in two defenders and got away a nice flick pass to send Andrew Harris over in the corner.

From there, all the momentum was with the Blues as their forwards started to get a roll on through the middle. With the forwards doing their job, the Blues halves were able to capitalise through halfback Lachlan Bristow who had Gundagai’s defence scrambling after a show and go saw him score underneath the posts. Toppin had no problems converting the try and the Blues went up 16-0.

The Story of The Maher Cup

With the game slowly getting out of reach, Gundagai halfback Derek Hay got his side back into the contest with a try off the back of some strong ball running. James Luff converted to bring his side to within 10 points.

Tumut were the dominant side in the first half although Gundagai’s never-say-die attitude had them in attacking field position on the cusp of halftime. They were able to capitalise through prop forward Luke Berkrey, who crashed over the line off a James Luff short ball. Luff converted to make it 16-12 at the break and ensure a thrilling second half.

The Blues opened the scoring in the second half through left centre Brayden Draber who from dummy half, faked one way and went the other to score in the corner and extend the lead 20-12.

Tevita Aroha-Tuinauvai terrorised the Tigers defence all day and he went over for a well-deserved try after beating several defenders with 20 minutes remaining. Toppin was again successful with the boot to give Tumut a 26-12 lead.

Critical errors saw both sides struggling to gain the ascendancy until Tumut put the result to bed after a shift to the left saw Thomas Hickson pull off a spectacular finish handing his side a memorable 30-12 victory.