You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Live Coverage | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round Seven

Round Seven of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup kicks off on Saturday with Jets v Sea Eagles and is followed by five games on Sunday, including Bears v Dragons streamed live on NSWRL TV at 2pm and Knights v Eels televised on Fox League at 11:30am.


Magpies v Rabbitohs

Panthers v Raiders

Bears v Dragons

Jets v Sea Eagles


Newtown Jets v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

Classy Jets overpower gritty Blacktown Workers

Jason Hosken

Game summary

The high flying Newtown Jets were given a fright by Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles before jumping clear 34-16 in Round Seven of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup at Henson Park.

A try to hulking Jets prop Thomas Hazelton in the second minute quickly erased the pain of last week’s loss, Newtown’s first of the season.

From there the Jets continued to stretch the Sea Eagles’ defence with elusive hooker Jayden Berrell orchestrating several chances. But the points didn’t follow and in the 16th minute against the run of play, Blacktown Workers levelled at 6 all when centre Alfred Smalley crossed from dummy-half.

Berrell was having a day out, and his short ball to Franklin Pele put Newtown back in front when the back-rower powered over, before Blacktown drew level through Luke Hodge who steamed onto a lovely Eiden Ackland ball to cross out wide.

With the halftime scores locked at 12-all, the unfancied Blacktown Workers were on target for just their second win of the season.

When winger Masi Fidow finished an attacking raid that included a fortuitous ricochet off the Jets’ crossbar, at 16-12 with 35 minutes to play, it looked like Blacktown’s day.

Although when Jets playmaker Lachlan Miller skipped right to put Matt Ikuvalu through a hole to bring the score to 16-all, the tide suddenly changed. 

In the 62nd minute, replacement centre Addison Demetriou powered over to put Newtown in front 20-16. A Kade Dykes try extended the margin six minutes later before Demetriou’s second ensured the Jets unbeaten run at home extended to three.

Talking points 

Berrell and Miller were absent in Newtown’s unexpected loss to the Rabbitohs last week and went about making up for lost time from the get-go.

Berrell, the former Wynnum Manly hooker, frustrated Blacktown with footwork and constantly brought his big men onto the ball, while Miller left no questions as to why he leads the competition in tackle breaks.

Blacktown entered the clash with the worst defence in the competition, but with Smalley doing time in the sin bin before the break, they repelled several attacking raids from the Jets with the game in the balance. After holding Newtown up in the in-goal on three separate occasions in the same set, they were rewarded two minutes later when Hodge scored their second try.

Fidow’s try for Blacktown five minutes after the break was one for the highlights reel. Half-back Dylan White’s last play chip towards the in-goal found the cross-bar and then the oncoming Sea Eagles’ chasers, before a classy long ball saw the winger dive over untouched out wide.

With strapping mobile centre’s the theme of the week, Newtown are blessed with the powerful services of Addison Demetriou. Entering the contest from the bench with the game on the line, his fresh legs and strength proved too much for the tiring Blacktown defence and his two late tries sealed the match.

Key moment 

Newtown were already in front 22-16 when Dykes was given the ball with 11 minutes left to play. Having already rescued Newtown from their own end with dazzling foot work on several occasions, the fullback set about putting his signature on the contest.

With a quick step, he sliced through the heart of the Blacktown defence then won the race to the goal line to put the contest beyond doubt.

What’s next?

Newtown’s quest for top spot intensifies next Saturday with a trip to Penrith and a captivating Round Eight clash with the second placed Panthers. 

While a short turnaround sees Blacktown back in action next Thursday night against South Sydney at Ironmark High Performance Centre, Redfern. 


Newcastle Knights v Parramatta Eels


Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Mounties


Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders

Panthers ease past Raiders for third straight win

Jason Hosken

Game summary

The Penrith Panthers reinforced their Knock-On Effect NSW Cup premiership credentials with a relentless performance at BlueBet Stadium to beat Canberra Raiders 44-12 in Round Seven.

Penrith playmakers Kurt Falls and Sean O'Sullivan took just two minutes to find their range, setting up winger Thomas Jenkins for the first of the Panthers’ five opening-half tries.

Centre Robert Jennings made the most of a Canberra turnover seven minutes later, throwing a dummy on his way to the line to open up a 10-0 lead. 

Canberra didn’t have much to answer for Penrith’s midfield surges with Mitch Kenny revelling in the action. His well-timed short ball led to a four-pointer for prop Eddie Blacker, racing over untouched for his side's third try of the afternoon.

Back-rowers Lindsay Smith and J'maine Hopgood continued to dominate before combining in the 28th minute to send replacement prop Liam Henry crashing over. Winger Christian Crichton rounded out the scoring to set up an imposing 28-0 lead at halftime.

The scoring momentarily stopped until 14 minutes after the break when Hopgood barged over to extend the lead, before NRL veteran Jarrod Croker muscled across for Canberra’s first. 

Further tries to fullback Sunia Turuva and Jenkins increased the home side’s tally before Canberra lock Peter Hola pegged one back for the Raiders in the closing minutes, closing out the 44-12 scoreline.

Talking points 

Mitch Kenny was a late swap for regular NSW Cup hooker Soni Luke who earned an NRL debut. With seven try-assists this season Luke has been integral to the Panthers' success, earning him a first grade opportunity as a result. 

Another double to Thomas Jenkins takes the winger’s tally to eight for the season. Known for his pace, the rangey flyer showcased his acrobatic skills among two Canberra defenders to score a remarkable Penrith try just minutes after kick-off.

Canberra's halves pairing of Sam Williams and Joshua James struggled to gel against a strong Penrith outfit. Despite Penrith’s early dominance, Canberra still found themselves with multiple attacking opportunities in the first 20 minutes, but in a reflection of the Raiders’ afternoon they were unable to convert on several last-tackle plays. 

Key moment 

An important moment was J'maine Hopgood’s try to open the second half. His four-pointer after the break was a true show of strength and although it was Penrith’s sixth try, it halted any aspirations Canberra had of change their fortunes in the second 40 minutes.

What’s next?

Penrith host the in-form Newtown Jets next Saturday at St Marys Leagues Stadium.

The Raiders once again hit the road to Sydney’s west, this time to Kellyville for a Round Eight clash against the Eels.


North Sydney Bears v St George Illawarra Dragons

Sloan stars as Bears fall short to fiery Dragons

Anthony Eltarraf

Game summary

The North Sydney Bears fell victim to a 30-14 belting by the St George Illawarra Dragons at North Sydney Oval on Sunday afternoon.

The Dragons were gifted an immediate opportunity after the Bears’ kickoff went out on a full, and the away side took full advantage of it through Josh Kerr, who barged his way over between the posts.

The home team did themselves no favours when the kickoff after the try went out on a full again, and for a second time, the Dragons were able to capitalise. Jackson Ford took the ball from dummy half and powered his way over for his side’s second try of the game.

At 10-0 down after a horror start to the game, the Bears needed a lift and that came in the form of prop Daniel Suluka-Fifita who bulldozed his way through the Dragons line before Josh Bergamin was stopped just short of the line. A shift to their left side saw Tom Carr dive over in the corner for the home side’s first try of the afternoon.

It was all Dragons for the remainder of the first half, with Cody Ramsey getting on the end of a grubber from Tyrell Sloan to touch down just inside the dead ball line, before intercepting a loose Bears pass to run almost 50m to grab his double.

The away side weren’t finished yet for the first half though, with winger Alexander Lobb finding off a backline spread with an acrobatic dive in the corner. Three successful conversions from Kamren Cryer in the opening half meant the sides went into the sheds, with the home team trailing 26-4.

The Bears came out firing in the second half, mounting plenty of pressure on the Dragons early on. The away side, however, were able to handle the pressure and a Daniel Alvaro offload to the ever-present Tyrell Sloan allowed for the star fullback to showcase his speed and get around his opposition number to add his name to the score sheet.

The Bears held off the Dragons for the remainder of the game while scoring two tries of their own through Lachlan Lam and Vuate Karawalevu. A most entertaining match at North Sydney Oval saw the Dragons come away with a 30-14 win against the hosts.

Talking points

The Dragons’ fast men proved too much for the Bears, covering in defence and shutting any form of attack down quickly, while showcasing their speed and agility to pile on points for their side.

The Bears’ discipline let them down especially in the first half, conceding penalty after penalty to add to their horror start to the game.

Dragons fullback, Tyrell Sloan, continues to raise questions as to why he is not an NRL regular, as his defensive positioning and attacking flair this afternoon proved crucial for his side’s victory.

Key moment

The Bears really gave themselves very little chance to come up with the victory after a poor display of discipline. However, it was undoubtedly the two out-on-a-fulls to start the game off that gave the travelling Dragons all the momentum they needed to dominate the match.

What’s next?

The Bears travel to Homebush to face the fifth-placed Bulldogs next weekend, while the Dragons host the Magpies, who have had a slow start to the year.


Western Suburbs Magpies v South Sydney Rabbitohs

Rabbitohs dominant in win over Magpies

Hugo Lumb

Game summary

The South Sydney Rabbitohs proved too strong for Western Suburbs Magpies at Lidcombe Oval on Sunday, winning 34-4 in a clinical display. 

The game started fast with both teams maintaining an even share of possession, yet it was the Rabbitohs who were first to score through a Richard Kennar try in the ninth minute.

Souths backed up the early points by dominating the rest of the half, with further tries to Nick Mougios (14th minute) and Maila Chan-Foon (36th minute). Halfback Dean Hawkins was three from three off the boot to give the Rabbitohs a commanding 18-0 lead at halftime.

Apart from a 41st-minute try to Magpies five-eighth Zane Camroux, the second half was similar to the first as Souths continued displaying supreme ball-handling skills and well-worked attacks, scoring three more tries through Jacob Gagai (53rd minute), Peter Mamouzelos (62nd minute) and Richard Kennar (68th minute) for his second.

Hawkins capped off the 30-point win with a penalty goal in the 72nd minute.

Round Seven was South Sydney’s second straight win and arguably their most impressive of the season so far, while the Magpies are yet to record a victory in 2022.

Talking points

South Sydney halfback Dean Hawkins had a game to remember today. Be it his precise kicking game or silky ball-running, Hawkins had a hand in every try for the Rabbitohs.

Hawkins finished the match with six try assists and five goals from seven attempts.

Richard Kennar was also one of the Souths’ best attacking weapons, scoring two tries, providing solid edge defence, making numerous barnstorming runs at the beginning of sets, and staying flawless under the high ball.

Key moment

After a tentative start from both teams it was Richard Kennar who crossed for the Rabbitohs first try just short of 10 minutes. He showed great athleticism to leap above a Magpies defender and latch onto Hawkins’ well-weighted kick.

This try effectively set the tone for the Rabbitohs’ performance, putting Souths in a position to dictate proceedings for the remainder of the contest.

What’s next?

The victorious South Sydney face Blacktown in Round Seven on Saturday afternoon at 3:00pm.

The Magpies will continue to search for their first win of season against a resurgent Dragons side at WIN Stadium on Sunday.   

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.