You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Live Coverage | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round 12

Two games in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup Indigenous Round will be broadcast this weekend. On Saturday from 12:40pm, the Western Suburbs Magpies (Tharawal) host the Penrith Panthers (Dharug) at Leichhardt Oval (Home of the Wann-gal People), streamed live on NSWRL TV. Meanwhile, Sunday’s 2:00pm fixture between the North Sydney Bears (Cammeraygal) and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (Dharug, Bidjigal/Bediagal) at North Sydney Oval (Home of the Cammeraygal People), will air live on Fox League.

Bears v Bulldogs

Raiders v Sea Eagles

Dragons v Roosters

Jets v Knights

Magpies v Panthers

Rabbitohs v Eels


South Sydney Rabbitohs v Parramatta Eels

NSW Cup Highlights | Rabbitohs v Eels - Round 12

Eels best Rabbitohs in entertaining affair

Hugo Lumb

Game summary

Eels centre Isaac Lumelume starred - crossing the stripe twice – in his team’s 26-16 victory over a solid Rabbitohs side in the opening match of Round 12 of the Knock-On Effect NSW Cup. 

The Rabbitohs would utilise the advantage that back-to-back penalties affords and score first, with back rower Ethan O’Neill latching onto a lovely kick in the in-goal during the 5th minute.

Great defence by the Eels enabled them to withstand relentless pressure coming from the Rabbitohs. Eventually they responded to the Rabbitohs early points, with captain Jordan Rankin and centre Isaac Lumelume scoring two tries in the space of three minutes. This handed the Eels a six-point advantage at the 25-minute mark. This margin would hold for the remainder of the half as both sides fiercely battled it out. 

Similar to the first half, the Rabbitohs dominated early possession thanks to poor discipline from the Eels. This would eventually pay dividends, with five-eighth Dion Teaupa diving on a loose ball to level the score with 31 minutes remaining. 

Continuing on from the trend of the first half, the Eels regained ascendency following a fast start from their opponents. It was barnstorming winger Lumelume who muscled his way over, grabbing his second of the night and the lead for Parramatta. Shortly after, halfback Jake Arthur kicked and gathered for himself to give the Eels back-to-back tries in quick succession.

With the Eels holding the biggest lead of the match, the Rabbitohs would reduce it back to four points with crafty hooker Peter Mamouzelos ducking his way over to set up an exciting final 13 minutes. 

However, some valiant defence from the Eels and a late try to lock Jayden Yates would keep a desperate Rabbitohs side at bay for the remainder of the match. 

Talking points 

As the game wore on, the Eels’ middle forwards were able to control the mid-field arm wrestle. This laid a solid platform for their halves Arthur and Rankin to kick in behind the back three of the Rabbitohs. 

Despite the Eels winning the match comfortably, the end score line was not reflective of how tightly contested this affair was. The Eels kept the Rabbitohs in the game by consistently giving away careless penalties. This is an aspect of their game they will have to give careful attention before they face top of the table side the North Sydney Bears next round. 

Key moment

Fresh off regaining the lead, the Eels’ would put the game to bed after a lovely solo effort to Jake Arthur. Arthur kicked from short range, before collecting the ball and a try to hand his side a ten-point lead. This would ultimately prove too much for the Rabbitohs to claw back from. 

What’s next?

The Eels return home next Friday night to face the high-flying Bears, in another NRL curtain-raiser. Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs have another home game, facing off against the Raiders at Accor Stadium on Saturday evening.


Western Suburbs Magpies v Penrith Panthers

Panthers beat the Magpies to earn back-to-back wins

Pranav Harish

Game summary

The Penrith Panthers were too strong for the Western Suburbs Magpies with a 40-10 win in Round 12 of the Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, notching up their second straight victory.

The defending premiers were back playing some of their best football as they cruised to an overwhelming victory.

The Magpies’ defence repelled several attacking raids from the Panthers before it paid off in the 15th minute, when they scored courtesy of Triston Reilly to go 4-0 ahead.

Penrith soon hit back when Luke Garner crossed over, with the conversion giving the visitors a 6-4 lead.

Preston Riki scored Penrith’s second try to put them further in front, exposing the edge defence of Western Suburbs.

The Panthers’ forwards began to build on their momentum, leading to Garner’s second try – scored in similar fashion to the first. The visitors led 18-4 at halftime.

The Panthers kept up the instensity coming out of the sheds, as Daeon Amituanai crossed over to open the second-half scoring.

The Magpies responded to the Panthers’ four consecutive tries, scoring a much-needed four-pointer through Israel Ogden. His try reduced the deficit to 24-10.  

Tom Jenkins then crossed as the visitors amassed a commanding lead with 30 points on the scoreboard.

Later in the contest Trent Toelau and Matt Stimson scored a pair of tries to cap off another strong performance for the Panthers.

Talking points

Soni Luke backed up for the Panthers after his short stint for the NRL side on Thursday. The crafty rake was heavily involved and provided strong service out of dummy-half throughout.

It was a great battle in the middle between the two forward packs. Aitasi James and Eddie Blacker carried the ball strongly and laid a strong platform for their playmakers.

Key moment

Down 6-4 midway through the first half, Israel Ogden made a line-break down the touchline to open up space infield. The Magpies were unable to capitalise on the following play, which could have given them the lead and helped to build some attacking momentum.  

What’s next?

The Magpies will take on St George Illawarra Dragons next Sunday in Wollongong, while the Panthers will take on the Warriors in Auckland.


Newtown Jets v Newcastle Knights

Jets go big in front of Henson Park faithful

Alex Hrissis

Game summary

The Newtown Jets secured a big 40-12 win against the Newcastle Knights at Henson Park in Round 12 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

Newtown struck first with some clinical passing on the right edge, finding Tom Rodwell to barge through the Knights’ defence and put his team ahead 4-0.

The hosts were rewarded with a second try when Braydon Trindall provided a short ball for Tuku Hau Tapuha, who broke through the line with pace and crashed over to earn his first points of the afternoon. Mawene Hiroti converted to make the score 10-0.

Newtown extended their lead thanks to more Trindall brilliance, this time with an offload for Jenson Taumoepeau to steamroll through the defence, scoring his first try of the season.

The Jets added another try just minutes before halftime when Niwhai Puru put the ball on a platter for veteran winger Josh Mansour to score. The conversion was successful from Hiroti to send his side into the sheds with a 22-0 lead.

Newtown picked up where they left off in the first half with Trindall providing a tidy grubber kick for Charbel Tasipale, who leaped onto the ball just before the dead-ball line.

The Knights finally bounced back in the second half when a cut-out pass found Dane Aukafolau, who strolled past the Newtown defence to score between the posts. The successful conversion from Ryan Rivett had his side trailing 22-6.

It didn’t take long for the home side to respond when Mansour rolled put on the afterburners from 30 metres out and barged past the last defender to secure his second try.

The Knights got themselves into double digits when halfback Adam Clune threw a dummy to trick the Jets’ defenders, diving over to score his first try for 2023.

Newtown still had the final say when Trindall stepped past a handful of defenders well-earned try beneath the sticks, rounding out the 40-12 final score.

Talking points

Another superb performance from half Braydon Trindall was crucial in Newtown securing the win, producing three try assists and scoring one himself.

The metre-eaters on the wings – Josh Mansour and Tom Rodwell – were a big part of Newtown’s success, with the pair scoring three tries between them.

Key moment

It would have been easy for Newtown to rest on their laurels in the second half, but they kept their foot on the pedal when Trindall kicked for Tasipale to extend the lead and asserting their dominance on the game.

What’s next?

In Round 13 the Newtown Jets will play away to the Sydney Roosters at Wentworth Park, while the Newcastle Knights will host Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles.


St George Illawarra Dragons v Sydney Roosters

Dragons enjoy big win in Wollongong

Russ Haylock

Game Summary

A Billy Burns hat-trick has helped the St George Illawarra Dragons to a 42-22 win over the Sydney Roosters in Round 12 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup at Collegians Sporting Complex in Wollongong.

The Dragons second-rower caused headaches down the left-edge throughout the match, on the back of strong running from the Red and White’s middle forwards and playmaker's.

It was the Roosters who drew first blood through halfback Sandon Smith, with the young number seven diving over from dummy-half inside the first 10 minutes of the match.

Both teams showed good discipline and handling in the early stages of the game, with the match going mostly set-for-set until Dragons rake Connor Mulheisen burrowed over to even the scores at 6-all after 20 minutes.

Burns scored his first try soon after, with Alexander Lobb also slotting a penalty goal to put them up by eight. Inside the last five minutes of the half it was Burns who barged over again, before Paul Turner stepped through the Roosters defence to score in the 40th minute and give his team a 20-point buffer at the break.

The Roosters then came out firing after half-time, with Allan Fitzgibbon scoring a brilliant try on the right wing despite the cover defence of the Dragons.

Roosters second-rower Ethan King also scored a four-pointer just five minutes later, diving on a delicate Sandon Smith grubber to bring the score back to 26-16 with 30 minutes remaining.

The Dragons were forced to work hard to stop the Roosters roll, and after both teams had opportunities to score it was Burns who got over for his third inside the final 20, with Mulheisen offloading swiftly to secure the back-rower’s hat-trick.

The Roosters refused to go away, scoring their fourth through Phoenix Steinwede, with the bench forward toeing a loose ball ahead and winning the race to score under the posts.

A comeback loomed for a time in the last 15 minutes, but late tries to Zach Herring and Viliami Fifita, as well as Lobb’s accurate goal-kicking, ensured the Dragons came away with the 20-point win.

Talking Points

Dragons bench proved the difference with forwards Nick Lui-Toso, Alec Tuitavake and Aaron Johnson, as well as hooker Haleo Finau, providing spark and strong ball-running off the bench

Max Feagai returns from a stint with the NRL side and was tough to contain throughout, pairing nicely with Treigh Stewart and Paul Turner to cause headaches for the Roosters.

Sandon Smith involved in the majority of Roosters tries and is one of the visitors most dangerous players throughout the match.

Key Moment

With the Roosters fighting back to within two tries inside the last 15 minutes, it was the effort of Dragons halfback Zach Herring that ensured the hosts won their second clash against the Roosters this season.

Herring wasn’t selected in their win last round against the Knights, but made his presence felt as he took the line on and crashed over to put the game to bed with seven minutes remaining.

What’s Next?

The Dragons will look to make it three on the trot when they host the Western Suburbs Magpies in Wollongong next Sunday, while the Roosters will look to snap their six-game losing streak when they battle the Newtown Jets at Wentworth Park in Round 13.


Canberra Raiders v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles get the job done in the capital

Tahlie Galvin

Game Summary

The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles are victorious after a trip to the Nation’s Capital, taking a 19-12 victory over the Canberra Raiders.

The first half was very even between the two teams with one try from each team seeing scores levelled at half-time. The Sea Eagles then came out and dominated the second half to secure a hard fought 19-12 victory.

The Raiders were first to score through Luke Webley running wide off Matt Frawley’s pass to power through the Sea Eagles defence. Schneider was successful in converting.

Nathaniel Roache then evened up scores in the 29th minute. Coming in close range to the try line just two plays before, Roache received the ball to have another shot at the line and came out successful.

Jamie Humphreys converted the try taking the score to 6-all to end the first half.

A Morgan Harper line-break early in the second half saw Raiders halfback Brad Schneider sin binned for a professional foul. Blacktown were quick to act on the 12-man defensive line as Brad Abbey found a break in defence to run through and dive over the line.

A failed conversion attempt from Humphreys was quickly made up for when the Sea Eagles were rewarded a penalty and they decided to take the two points.

Sea Eagles fullback Clayton Faulalo was next to score, running through and around the Raiders defenders to get over the line and give his team a comfortable 12-point lead over the Raiders.

Schneider returned hope for the Raiders going away from defenders to eventually gain tunnel vision for the try-line and score. Schneider added the extras to bring the margin to six.

With four minutes left on the clock, Jaime Humphreys sealed the win with a field goal taking the final score 19-12 with the Sea Eagles coming out on top.

Talking Points

Schneider's sin-binning turned the tide for the home side and they were unable to chase down the Sea Eagles lead.

Key Moment

Just six points behind, the Raiders were showing signs of a comeback until Humphreys kicked a field goal from right in front, giving his side a bit of breathing room.

What’s Next?

The Raiders will take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Accor Stadium on Saturday the 27th of May, whilst the Sea Eagles will head to Newcastle to take on the Knights the following day.


North Sydney Bears v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Pauga's four-try haul helps Bears in dramatic comeback

Bethany Conlon

Game summary

The North Sydney Bears remain at the top of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup ladder after a 24-22 win over the second-placed Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at North Sydney Oval.

Junior Pauga’s four tries sealed the comeback win for the Bears against a strong Bulldogs outfit.

The Bulldogs went through the hands to open the scoring, sending winger Danny Gabrael over in the fifth minute.

After forcing a goal-line drop-out, Bulldogs winger Jordi Mazzone scored in the following set by grounding a deft grubber into the in-goal area. Flanagan nailed the sideline conversion for a 10-0 lead.

North Sydney winger Pauga would finally get the Bears on the board in the 17th minute, latching onto a pass out wide to score.

Minutes later, Bulldogs second-rower Jackson Topine pounced on a Kyle Flanagan kick to extend their lead. Flanagan converted to put the Dogs up 16-4.

Flanagan set up the next try with a short ball for prop Chris Patolo to crash over under the posts. The No.9 made a successful conversion to lead 22-4, which remained the halftime score.

The Bears hit back just two minutes into the second half when five-eighth Jesse Marschke scoring a four-pointer, before halfback Ben Stevanovic’s conversion brought the deficit back to 12 points.

A repeat set followed by consecutive penalties saw the Bears capitalise again in the 52nd minute, shifting to the right for Pauga to get grab his second. North Sydney trailed 22-14.

The Bears attacked that edge again, with Pauga claiming his hat-trick in aerobatic style in the 56th minute. Stevanovic converted to put the host within two points of the Bulldogs.

In the 74th minute it was that man Pauga again. With plenty of work to do, he fended opposite winger Gabrael from a standing start, evading the remaining cover defence to score his fourth – snatching the lead and the 24-22 win for the Bears.

Talking points

Bulldogs forward Ryan Sutton was placed on report for a dangerous throw in the 60th minute.

With his four-try effort in Round 12, Junior Pauga has now scored 13 tries in his past five games for the Bears.

Key moment

Pauga scored his fourth by bolting down the right touchline with six minutes remaining, but it ultimately proved to be a critical moment in the match as the Bears held on for the two-point win.

What’s next?

On Friday the Bears take on the Parramatta Eels at CommBank Stadium, while the Bulldogs have a bye in Round 13.


Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners