You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Live Coverage | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup Round 16

Two games will be broadcast live on Saturday for Round 16 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup. The Knights and Roosters fixture will be broadcast on Fox League from 12:40pm at McDonald Jones Stadium. Meanwhile, the Jets v Warriors match at Henson Park will stream on NSWRL TV from 1pm.

Knights v Roosters

Jets v Warriors

Bulldogs v Panthers

Eels v Sea Eagles

Magpies v Dragons

Rabbitohs v Bears


Newcastle Knights v Sydney Roosters

Resilient Roosters rise to topple Knights in Newcastle

Sydney Roosters Media

The Sydney Roosters turned on the heat in Round 16 of the NSW Cup competition, lifting as a team to down the Newcastle Knights 36-12 at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday afternoon. 

After suffering an agonising two-point loss to the defending premiers last week, the Tricolours rose in attack and defence, driven by an outstanding 80-minute effort from Siua Wong, who made 245 run metres from 22 carries at lock.  

An early error from the Roosters gifted the hosts an opportunity to strike early from close range, with a textbook left-edge attacking play resulting in a try for Laitia Moceidreke. Lachlan Miller failed to convert the try from the sideline, leaving the hosts with a four-point advantage.

The Tricolours responded four minutes later through Coby Thomas, who stood up out of a tackle close to the line and carried Knights halfback Adam Klune on his back over the stripe to level the scores. Jaxson Paulo added the extras from close range, giving the Roosters a two-point lead.

A phenomenal chip-and-chase play from Jade Anderson set up Joseph Taipari shortly after, with the Roosters’ winger gathering the ball before offloading to his halfback close to the line.

Five minutes later, Paulo made the Knights pay for a sloppy pass in their run towards the line, picking up the scraps to race 80 metres downfield to score untouched. The outside back converted his own try, cementing a handy 12-point margin.

A cross-field kick from Clune set up Newcastle for a point-scoring play on the the right edge, with winger Keanu Wainohu-Kemp gathering the ball before crashing over the stripe. 

Clune set up Chris Vea'ila for the Knights' third try of the half five minutes later with a slick cut-out ball, but Miller failed to convert once more, leaving the score at 16-12. 

The Tricolours came out of the sheds firing, trading blows with the hosts for 20 minutes before finding first points through Alan Holten, who took advantage of the Knights napping goal-line defence to dive over from dummy half. 

A barnstorming run from Roosters' captain Ethan King resulted in more points for the visitors, after the fullback tore straight through the Knights defence in the 66th minute, offloading to Tyrell Neiufi who finished the effort beside the posts. Paulo converted the try to give the Roosters a 26-12 lead. 

Neiufi collected a marvellous banana kick from Holten in the 72nd minute, offloading to Ethan Clark-Wood who grounded the ball in-goal, effectively opening the flood gates the Tricolours. 

Three minutes later, Holten crossed for the Roosters' fourth unanswered try of the second half, diving over from dummy half to bag his second four-pointer of the afternoon. Paulo kicked the conversion from close range, sealing the win. 

Newtown Jets v Warriors

Newtown Jets surge to the top of the table with victory over the Warriors

Hugo Lumb

Game summary

In a match that promised attacking flair and excitement, the round 16 fixture between the Newtown Jets and Warriors did not disappoint.

The Jets would run out winners 24-16, moving themselves to the top of the Knock-On Effect NSW Cup ladder with the Bulldogs to play later today.

The Jets immediately lived up to their reputation as one of the most potent attacking sides in the competition, stringing together two long-range tries to five-eight Braydon Trindall and centre Kayal Iro in the first 15 minutes.

After obtaining some control of the match, the Warriors would begin to settle into their groove, stretching the Jets defence on either side of the field.

This expansive play eventually paid dividends, with hooker Freddy Lussick fooling some markers and burrowing his way over in the 33rd minute.

Fullback Mawene Hirhoti slotted a side-line penalty goal on half-time to hand the Jets a deserved 12-6 lead as the sides headed into the break.

Nine minutes into the second half the Jets attacking machine clicked into gear again with Trindall putting back-rower Charbel Tasipale through a hole for a four-pointer.

The Warriors responded with centre Viliami Vailea producing some late footwork to dive over to reduce the margin back to eight points with just over 20 minutes remaining.

The competitions leading point-scorer and Warriors halfback, Ronald Volkman, continued his sides fightback, stepping around some tiring Newtown defenders in the 65th minute to move the margin back to two.

Despite the Warriors resurgent play, it would be Trindall who would wrestle back the momentum, bursting through the line and crossing for his second four-pointer of the game.

The five-eighths 71st minute try would ultimately prove to be the final say in the match, with the Newtown side repelling a desperate Warriors outfit for the remainder of the game leaving the final score at 24-16.

Talking points

The 2022 NSW Cup player of the year, Kayal Iro, was the man of the match for the Jets today, grabbing himself a try, a try assists and running for over 150 meters.  

Despite failing to win the game, the Warriors put on a valiant effort against a red-hot Newtown side. With halves Ronald Volkman and Ben Farr consistently challenging the Jets defence throughout the match.

Key moment

With the game in the balance and the Warriors holding the ascendency in the match, Braydon Trindall’s second four-pointer proved to be the deciding moment. Handing his side an eight-point buffer that would be too much for the Warriors to overcome.

What’s next?

The Warriors will return home to face the Dragons on Saturday Morning AEST. Meanwhile, the Jets will be back at Henson Park to play the Eels in the traditional 3PM Saturday afternoon timeslot.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Penrith Panthers

Bulldogs best Panthers with clinical performance

Alex Hrissis

Game summary

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs hosted the Penrith Panthers on Saturday afternoon at Belmore Sports Ground in Round 16 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, with the home team putting on a clinical performance to win 30-16.

Canterbury-Bankstown opened the scoring, putting pressure on the Panthers defensive line early. After several repeat sets, five-eighth Joseph O’Neill kicked a short ball through for lock Jordan Samrani who steamrolled past defence, crashing over the line for his first try on debut.

The Bulldogs quickly found themselves 10 metres out from Penrith’s line, when prop Samuel Hughes broke through the defence before passing the ball to O’Neill who dived over underneath the posts. Halfback Bailey Hayward successfully converted the try to put his side up 10-0.

The Panthers hit back in the 22nd minute with a set play which saw the ball shifted out to the left, finding winger Daeon Amituanai who found space out on the wing, before diving over in the corner to score a four-pointer.

Penrith levelled the score when rising front rower Eddie Blacker broke through the line and crashed over to the right of the posts to score his fourth try of the season. Halfback Kurt Falls successfully converted Blacker’s try, adding the two points.

Bulldogs regained the lead just before half time with some clever passing from centre Ethan Quai-Ward to his winger Eli Clark, who pushed his way through defenders to score in the corner. Hayward successfully converted the try from out wide, extending the score to 16-10.

Canterbury extended their lead early in the second half when winger Declan Casey intercepted the ball and channelled his inner Josh Addo-Carr to sprint the full length of the field and cross for his teams fourth try of the day. The conversion was waved away leaving the score at 20-10.

The home team extended their lead even further with Billy Tsikrikas breaking through Penrith’s defence before passing the ball out to halfback Bailey Hayward who scored in the 51st minute. Hayward converted his own try, adding the extra two points.

The Panthers were the next to score, with Eddie Blacker finding the line once again to score his second try of the day. Falls nailed the conversion to make the score 26-16.

Canterbury kicked two penalty goals in the final 13 minutes of the game to make the score 30-16 at full time.

Key moment

Declan Casey scored a brilliant four pointer, through an intercept pass which saw the winger run the full length of the field to score.

Talking points

It was the Bulldogs third consecutive win, however the loss saw the Panthers five game win streak come to an end.

This top of the table clash between first and third place saw the Bulldogs emerge victorious, keeping them on the top of the ladder.

What’s next?

In Round 17 of the KOE NSW Cup the Bulldogs will travel to Lidcombe to face off against the Western Suburbs Magpies on Saturday afternoon while Penrith will host the Newcastle Knights.

Parramatta Eels v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles soar high to defeat struggling Eels

Sam Kosack

Game summary

The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles kept themselves in the finals hunt with a dominant 46-10 win over the Parramatta Eels in Round 16 of the Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

It was the Eels second heavy defeat in a row, with the Eels now conceding 110 points in two weeks, while Blacktown continue to improve. 

After early sustained pressure and multiple repeat sets on the Blacktown line, the Parramatta Eels scored the first try of the game, with winger Chris Tupou finishing off a left-hand shift in the 5th minute. 

Clayton Faulalo extended his lead atop the KOE NSW Cup try scorer’s leader board, finishing off a Jake Toby line break in the 12th minute. Toby sliced through Parramatta’s right-side defence 30 metres out before finding Faulalo back on the inside. Cooper Johns converted from right in front, giving Blacktown a 6-4 lead. 

The Sea Eagles crossed again in the 17th minute through Latu Fainu. Off the back of a scrum 10 metres out, second rower Josh Stuckey made a half break before finding a supporting Fainu back inside. Cooper Johns again converted, extending the lead to 12-4. 

Blacktown crossed again in the very next set through Jackson Ferris, thanks to a Latu Fainu line break on his own 10 metre line. The half found winger Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega who passed it onto centre Clayton Faulalo who was pulled down 10 metres out. A simple spread through the hands led to Harper sending Ferris over in the right corner, with Johns converting for a 14-point lead. 

Ferris had his second try four minutes later off the back of an escort from Eels winger Chris Tupou. From the tap, the Eels quickly found themselves outmanned on their left edge, leaving Ferris to cross untouched in the 24th minute. Johns continued his pinpoint kicking, converting from the edge for a 24-4 lead.  

A late offload from Zac Fulton gave Manly their 5th try in 32 minutes with fullback Jake Toby sliding over. A short ball from Fainu saw Fulton able to bend the Eels line, before passing to Toby who went over untouched. Johns missed the conversion, leaving the score 28-4. 

Zac Fulton got a try of his own in the 38th minute, finishing off some silky ball work from Gordon Chan Kum Tong and Latu Fainu. Kum Tong darted out of dummy half, putting Fainu in open space, before the half found Fulton on the left. Johns converted for a dominant 34-4 lead going into half time. 

A length of the field intercept 15 minutes after halftime saw Jackson Ferris run 90 metres to claim his 3rd for the day. Plucking a Parramatta pass out of the air, Ferris grubbered to himself before recollecting and outrunning Zac Cini to extend the Sea Eagles lead, with Johns converting to make it 40-4. 

The Eels scored their second in the 72nd minute through Tupou who notched his second for the day. Tupou slipped on his run to the try line before managing to get to his feet and muscle over the Sea Eagles sliding defence. Captain Jordan Rankin converted to bring the deficit to 30. 

Despite some much-improved defence in the second half from the Eels, Cooper Johns finished off his own play in the 76th minute to score and take the lead back to 36. Johns opted to run the ball on the last tackle, beating the oncoming Eels defence and sending Jackson Ferris away down the right touchline. Ferris passed back into Johns who capped off a great day for the Sea Eagles, before converting his own try to produce a 46-10 score. 

Talking points 

Latu Fainu was the standout from the game, scoring a try, a crucial line break, and having a hand in two others. The young half, still early in his NSW Cup career, stepped up, and proved he was more than ready for this level of football.

Winger Jackson Ferris and second rower Zac Fulton were also impressive. Ferris scored a hatrick while Fulton scored one of his own, along with a try assist.

Key moment 

Jackson Ferris’ second try proved to be a crucial moment in the outcome of the game, with Blacktown never looking like losing after it. Following the Eels heavy loss last week, it was imperative they didn’t allow Blacktown to gain too much momentum. With the game in the balance, and the Eels 18-4 down, Ferris’ try took the lead to 20, and the Eels were unable to slow Blacktown down as they proceeded to dominate the contest. 

What’s next?

Still vying for a finals spot, the Blacktown Workers return home to face the Rabbitohs on Sunday, while on Saturday, the Eels look to bounce back against the high-flying Newtown Jets at Henson Park. 


Western Suburbs Magpies v St George Illawarra Dragons

Dragons take out Roy Masters Cup with dominant display

Hugo Lumb

Game summary

The St George Illawarra Dragons got the better of the Western Suburbs Magpies with a 46-4 win at Lidcombe Oval in Round 16 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

The Dragons made their intentions clear early, scoring through winger Sione Finau only four minutes into the match.

The Magpies responded shortly after, spreading the ball early in the set as Triston Reilly ran 70 metres to get his side on the board. 

The Dragons restored the six-point  buffer when centre Tautau Moga crossed for a four-pointer in the 23rdminute.

St George Illawarra’s lead was extended after some individual brilliance from back-rower Nick Lui-Loso, before another length-of-the-field try finished off by fullback Treigh Stewart. The Dragons had an 18-point lead at the break. 

The Dragons started the second half strongly, with back-rower Billy Burns grabbing himself a double inside the first 10 minutes of the half.

The onslaught continued with Treigh Stewart flicking a ball back inside for interchange forward Jackson Shereb, increasing the margin beyond 30 points.

Two more tries to Finau – who grabbed his second – and halfback Zach Herring in the final 10 minutes put an exclamation mark on the Dragons’ dominant performance. Herring’s try brought the end score-line to an emphatic 46-4.

Talking points 

Dragon’s fullback Treigh Stewart continued his scintillating NSW Cup form, grabbing himself a try and being involved in three others.

The Magpies missed the attacking spark and organisational skills of arguably the form player of the competition in the form of fullback Daine Laurie, who was missing today.

Key moment

After an even 30 minutes to start the match, back-rower Nick Lui Toso’s aerial leap above the Magpies’ defence to score was a defining moment. His four-pointer gave the Dragons a healthy lead, coming just prior to Treigh Stewart’s try on the stroke of halftime. 

What’s next?

The Dragons travel across the ditch to face the Warriors in Auckland next week, while the Magpies will look to bounce back at home against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon.


South Sydney Rabbitohs v North Sydney Bears

Rabbitohs victorious in inaugural Mario Fenech Cup

Mitchell Roese

Game summary

The South Sydney Rabbitohs had a 24-16 win Coogee Oval on Sunday afternoon, defeating the North Sydney Bears to claim the inaugural Mario Fenech Cup.

A repeat set on a last-tackle play gifted the Rabbitohs the first try of the afternoon, with forward Shaquai Mitchell crashing over next to the uprights.

Tallis Duncan provided South Sydney’s second after a show-and-go to break into open space, finding halfback Dean Hawkins in support to score under the posts.

The Bears hit back soon after as Ben Stevanovic threw a long ball to winger Jamon Wormleaton to score in the corner.

Souths’ right edge finally had success late in the half with some slick hands out to winger Tom Carr, stretching the lead to 14 points at the break.

Jesse Marschke came within millimetres of opening the second half with a try for the Bears, then a loopy pass from Stevanovic was intercepted by Carr before Rabbitohs fullback Jacob Gagai raced 90 metres to score.

Marschke later split through the middle but met some desperate defence from the Rabbitohs. Soon after that, the ball found its way to Wormleaton for his double.

The Bears held strong and were rewarded again as fullback Josh Bergamin used his speed and strength to beat South Sydney’s scrambling edge defence, bringing the margin back to eight points inside the final 10 minutes.

Despite the Bears’ efforts, they were unable to track down the Rabbitohs’ 24-16 lead.

Talking points

The Rabbitohs’ right edge was prevalent during attacking raids. Halfback Dean Hawkins was the key man in the backline movements and provided good field position through with a strong kicking game.

Souths’ win makes it four in a row, while the Bears have now suffered their fourth consecutive loss.

Key moment

Despite the Bears scoring the following tackle, the Rabbitohs showed their desire to hang on at home with a desperate effort to chase down Jesse Marschke, who looked certain to score.

What’s next?

The Bears have a bye in Round 17, while the Rabbitohs take on Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at HE Laybutt Field on Sunday afternoon.


Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners