You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Live Coverage | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round 18

Round 18 kicks off on Friday at 3.30pm as the Warriors host the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Auckland. A Saturday double-header sees Canberra Raiders against the Penrith Panthers from 12.40pm on Fox League, before Newtown Jets take on St George Illawarra Dragons at Henson Park from 3pm.

Fox League's NSW Cup coverage continues on Sunday from 11.30am at Accor Stadium when Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs face the Newcastle Knights. The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles go up against the Sydney Roosters at 4 Pines Parks from 1.35pm, and the round finishes on NSWRL TV with North Sydney Bears hosting Western Suburbs Magpies from 2pm.

Jets v Dragons

Raiders v Panthers

Warriors v Rabbitohs

Bulldogs v Knights

Sea Eagles v Roosters

Bears v Magpies

Warriors v South Sydney Rabbitohs

Warriors back in winning form

Richard Becht, Warriors Media

The Warriors rediscovered winning form in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup by holding out South Sydney Rabbitohs 21-18 at a rain-sodden Go Media Stadium in Auckland on Friday night.

The Round 18 victory was the second in the Warriors' last eight matches since they beat the Sydney Roosters on 30 April. It lifted the Warriors to 21 competition points.

The home side was on the board in the sixth minute with a Setu Tu try, and out to a 14-0 lead by the 21st minute through tries to centre Viliami Vailea and lock forward Kalani Going.

The Rabbitohs responded with two converted tries before Warriors halfback Ronald Volkman rounded off the half with a field goal for a 15-12 lead at the break.

When interchange forward Solomon Vasuvulagi scored seven minutes into the second half, the Warriors had a handy 21-12 advantage but couldn’t build on it.

It kept the Rabbitohs in the contest, but the Warriors resisted until the 78th minute when the visitors scored their third try to bring the final margin to three points.


Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers 

Raiders battle injury to secure narrow win

Tahlie Gavin

Game summary

The Canberra Raiders have battled to a 22-18 win over the Penrith Panthers in Round 18 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

An injury-filled first half saw the Raiders lose both Utuloa Asomua and Elijah Anderson during the match, then a closely contested second half set the game up for a nail-biting finish.

First points of the afternoon came from Panthers lock Chris Smith in the 14th minute, after an offload from centre Thomas Jenkins to fullback Isaiah Iongi, who put in a well-timed grubber kick for the try. Kurt Falls successfully added the extras.

Canberra scored their first points soon after through a grubber from half Matt Frawley, leading to a try for young fullback Chevy Stewart just shy of the dead-ball line.

Before halftime Raiders lock Mitchell Spencer hit a hole in the Penrith defence, offloading to Frawley with a clear run at the try-line for another four points. Xavier Savage converted to give the Raiders 12-6 lead at the break.

Clay Webb’s strong start to the second half helped the Raiders go further ahead, making a break with Jed Stuart in support, who got a pass away to Ethan Strange to score. A successful Savage conversion extended the lead to 18-6.

Webb was next to score by crashing over off a dummy-half pass from Toby Thorburn. Savage was unable to convert with the Raiders taking a 16-point lead just minutes into the second half.

Penrith attempted a fightback as they scored the next two tries, as David Fale and Mavrik Geyer were both rewarded with four-pointers.

Just a try in front, Canberra did well to hold off Penrith for the remaining minutes to take out the win at GIO Stadium.

Talking points

Trey Mooney and Hohepa Puru were late inclusions into the Raiders squad having both recovered from injury.

Utuloa Asomua was ruled out of the match early after showing category 1 concussion symptoms from an attempted tackle.

Elijah Anderson as he was also ruled out of the game midway through the first half with a suspected patella tendon injury, and Jordan Martin left the field in the second half with a knee injury.

Penrith’s Luke Garner was also ruled out in second half after failing his head injury assessment (HIA).

Key moment

Some outstanding defensive work for Chevy Stewart and Xavier Savage helped the Raiders to victory in the dying minutes. When Panthers prop Eddie Blacker picked up a grubber close to the try-line, he looked certain to score but was denied by the efforts of Savage and Stewart, putting their bodies on the line to stop the big front-rower.

What’s next?

The Raiders head to Wollongong to face St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday 8 July, while the Panthers have a bye in Round 19.


Newtown Jets v St George Illawarra Dragons

Dragons ground Jets to claim the Tom Kirk Cup

Sam Kosack

Game summary

The St George Illawarra Dragons have claimed the Tom Kirk Cup in emphatic style, winning 46-12 against second-placed Newtown Jets at Henson Park in Round 18.

The Dragons extended their winning streak to three and moved into eighth position on The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup ladder, while the Jets cost themselves a chance for top spot at the end of the round.

St George Illawarra opened their account in the first set of the match through centre Savelio Tamale, who muscled his way over in the left-hand corner off the back of a strong Max Feagai run. Winger Alexander Lobb converted for a 6-0 lead. 

The visitors struck again in the eighth minute after an intercept from winger Sione Finau, plucking a Braydon Trindall pass from the 20-metre line to score under the black dot at the other end. Finau’s intercept made it three for the season so far (equal-first in the competition). Lobb once again converted to extend the Dragons’ lead to 12. 

Second-rower Billy Burns was placed on report for a crusher tackle in the 20th minute and Newtown capitalised on the ensuing penalty, with Josh Mansour powering his way over the line. Centre Mawene Hiroti missed the sideline conversion, leaving the score at 12-4. 

It wasn’t long before the Dragons hit back, with fullback Paul Turner scoring beside the posts in the 25th minute by steaming onto a short ball. Lobb failed to convert as the Dragons led 16-4.

A catch from a towering bomb followed by a brilliant flick pass from Feagai gave the Dragons their fourth try, as Lobb crossed untouched in the corner. Lobb converted his own try for an 18-point lead with seven minutes remaining in the half. 

The Dragons scored their fifth a minute out from halftime through Burns, thanks to some slick ball movement and a short ball from Talatau Amone. Lobb converted for a 28-4 lead at the break. 

Five minutes after halftime, halfback Zach Herring crossed for the Dragons following a shift to the right-hand side, with Lobb's conversion extending the lead to 30. 

Dragons interchange forward Alec Tuitavake showed plenty of strength to score left of the posts in the 50th minute. Lobb added the two points to extend the Dragons' lead to 36.

Burns continued his strong performance by setting up Haele Finau in the 55th minute, beating two defenders before kicking a pinpoint grubber which sat up perfectly in Finau's lap. Lobb kept up his impressive afternoon with the boot, giving St George Illawarra a 42-point lead with 25 minutes to go. 

The Jets stemmed the Dragons' momentum with a try in the 65th minute through Mansour. Mansour then completed his hat-trick in the 72nd minute, much to the applause of the Henson Park crowd. Braydon Trindall was unable to convert, leaving the final score at 46-12.

Talking points

Billy Burns was one of the Dragons' standouts in a strong performance, which included a try and try assist, and some solid defence and ball-carries. However, he now has a nervous wait to find out if a charge is handed down for a potential crusher tackle. 

Sharks forward Toby Rudolf made his return from a toe injury, marking his first game since Round Five. He had a line-break and several strong carries in a struggling forward pack.

Key moment

A try to Zach Herring five minutes into the second half sealed the result for the Dragons. The try propelled the Dragons to an unassailable 30-point, as the Jets' comeback task became became too difficult to overcome. 

What's next?

The Dragons return to Wollongong next Friday against Canberra Raiders as they look to continue their three-game winning streak. The Jets are aiming to return to form against the Western Suburbs Magpies, again at Henson Park on Saturday. 


Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Newcastle Knights

Knights humble competition heavyweights

Pranav Harish

Game Summary

The Newcastle Knights dominated the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in their Round 18 clash, beating the ladder leaders 38-12.

The Knights produced a dominant first half of football to set up a resounding victory as the Bulldogs were kept out of the contest for most of the game.

Both sides played set-for-set early, but the Knights put points on the scoreboard first through Laitia Moceidreke who crossed over down the northern touchline.

Fletcher Myers scored Newcastle’s second try a few minutes later. The centre did well to ground a grubber kick off the boot of Adam Clune to give the Knights an early eight-point lead.

The Bulldogs began to concede several penalties as their ill-discipline allowed Newcastle to be gifted valuable field position. It proved costly as Clune scored the Knights' third straight when the halfback set up the four-pointer after making a linebreak 30-meters out from the line. Lachlan Miller converted his kick to hand Newcastle a solid 14-nil lead.

Canterbury managed to get on the scoreboard with Ethan Quai-Ward scored his sides first four-pointer.

Kitione Kautonga did well to power through the Knights defence down the left edge and offload the ball which allowed the centre to stroll over the try line. Kyle Flanagan’s converted kick got the Dogs back into the contest with scores at 14-6. 

Myers bagged his second try in a similar style to his first on the stroke of halftime to help the Knights take a 18-6 lead first half lead.

The second half got off to a bad start for the home side when Knights fullback David Armstrong pounced on a loose pass from Lipoi Hopoi to score a long range try.

Armstrong’s pace proved too much for the Bulldogs outside backs as he raced away to add more points for the visitors.

Kyle McCarthy did well to keep himself in play and ground the ball to score Newcastle’s sixth try of the match as the Knights sailed out to a commanding 30-6 lead after Miller's conversion.

Jeral Skelton scored the Bulldogs' second try to stem the steady flow of points from the Knights.

The Knights grabbed an easy two points off the back of a penalty goal after the Bulldogs failed to land a clean drop out kick. Myers notched up his hat trick, by once again latching on to a grubber kick this time from Miller as Newcastle caped off a dominant display in style.

Talking Points

While the Bulldogs struggled defensively, they didn’t connect well in attack either despite the presence of several experienced players such as Josh Reynolds and Flanagan. Their attack also failed to fire at times, as they were unable to convert off the back of any momentum.

In contrast, Clune and Miller steered the Knights around when they had possession of the football. They executed their plays with composure and managed to consistently find points.

Key Moment

Down 14-6 with a couple of minutes left before halftime, Canterbury had a chance to add another four points after Jeral Skelton made a break down the western touchline off the back of a scrum.

The Dogs couldn’t capitalise on the retreating Knights defence after the Dogs attempted to put a play on the inside. Joash Papalii knocked the ball on early in the attacking set.

A try would have helped the Bulldogs reduce the deficit by at least four points heading into the break.

What’s next?

The Bulldogs will be back at Accor Stadium next Saturday to take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs while the Knights will take on the Sydney Roosters at Wentworth Park on Sunday.


Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters

Sea Eagles dominate Roosters at 4 Pines

Anthony Eltarraf

Game Summary

The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles put on a clinic at 4 Pines Park this afternoon, defeating the Sydney Roosters in a one sided affair, 48-6.

It was all the Sea Eagles in the opening 40 as the hosts dominated across the pitch, scoring 30 unanswered points.

A try to Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega opened the scoring before his fellow winger Clayton Faulalo touched down on the opposite side.

Karl Lawton then added to the tally, charging his way over to touch down and take his side three converted tries in front.

The Sea Eagles sought to put the game to bed before half-time, and they did just that through a try to Sean Keppie who crashed over.

Jamie Humphreys then went over at the stroke of half-time to take the Sea Eagles into the sheds with a 30-0 lead.

The home side picked up where they left off in the first half, controlling the game and piling the pressure on the visitors. The forwards were having a field day, with Dean Matterson getting his name on the scoresheet just four minutes into the second period.

Two more tries on the edges for the Sea Eagles saw their tally extend to 44. Morgan Harper continued his run of form with his first try of the afternoon prior to Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega securing his double.

The action-packed game continued with three players sent to the sin bin with 20 minutes remaining, giving the hosts a one-man advantage. The Sea Eagles made the most of the advantage, scoring through fullback Kaeo Weekes who finished off the scoring for his side.

A late try to Roosters back-rower Corey Ross proved nothing more than consolation as the Sea Eagles secured a dominant victory over the Roosters, 48-6.

Talking Points

The Sea Eagles dominated all over the pitch while the Roosters couldn’t seem to find an answer, especially for the Sea Eagles forwards who were barging down the middle of the field and laying a platform for their halves to control the attack.

Key Moment

In such a dominant display, Jamie Humphreys’ try right before half-time allowed the Sea Eagles to carry momentum into the second half and continue their dominant display. Humphreys came off the bench to score his first try of the season and the home sides fifth of the afternoon to put the game to bed before half-time.

What’s Next?

The Sea Eagles host the North Sydney Bears next week, while the Roosters face the Newcastle Knights who are coming off a convincing display against the Bulldogs.


North Sydney Bears v Western Suburbs Magpies

Fast-finishing Bears defeat Magpies at home

Bethany Conlon

Game Summary

Fresh off the bye, the North Sydney Bears headed into the Sunday clash hoping to turn their fortunes after consecutive losses, whilst the 10th place Western Suburbs Magpies wanted to go one better after drawing with the competition leaders last week.

Two minutes in and the Bears opened their account through winger, Allan Fitzgibbon and Ben Stevanovic’s conversion drifted wide keeping the lead to four.

Repeated infringements on their own line cost the Magpies as North Sydney winger Tuipulotu Katoa strolled over untouched taking the score to 8-nil in the ninth minute.

In the 14th minute Magpies’ hooker Rua Ngatikaura exposed the Bears poor marker defence, burrowing over under the posts. Magpies five-eighth, Zane Camroux reduced the deficit to two with scores 8-6.

Despite desperate scrambling from the Magpies defence, Bears fullback Josh Bergamin cut through the line untouched, scoring the Bears' third in the 21st minute. Stevanovic would successfully convert for the first time, putting the Bears in front by eight.

Bears lock, Zach Dockar-Clay charged through a hole, turning the Magpies fullback inside out to put five-eighth Jesse Marschke under the posts in the 28th minute. Stevanovic converted again for a 20-6 lead.

A crash play to Magpies front-rower, John Tuivaiti saw the Magpies score their second of the afternoon in the 31st minute. Zane Camroux converting to bring the Magpies within eight.

Momentum seemed to be well and truly with the Magpies, creating a two-on-three advantage for Triston Reilly to score three minutes from the break. Camroux would successfully convert his third for the afternoon.  

When play resumed after the break it was all North Sydney, scoring in the opening minutes of the second half through second rower Reuben Porter.

Bears winger Allan Fitzgibbon then strode over untouched in the 53rd minute, earning a double for the afternoon. A wide kick from Stevanovic kept the score 30-18.

A ‘Burton-like’ bomb from Bears half Ben Stevanovic in the 58th minute proved too difficult to handle for Magpies fullback Israel Ogden, spilling it 10 metres from their line with Ben Stevanovic the beneficiary, grabbing a four pointer.

The halfback converted his own try, increasing the score to 36-18.

Piling on the pain, winger Allan Fitzgibbon again found himself in space, sprinting down the line to score his third in the corner with 10 minutes to go.

The final blow would come through that man again, Bears winger, Fitzgibbon taking a lucky deflection off his own chip and chase to ‘swan’ dive over for his fourth in the 74th minute. Stevanovic kicked the goal, sealing the 46-18 victory to win the Jason Taylor cup.

Talking Points

After taking a hit up from the scrum, Bears winger Tuipulotu Katoa suffered a blow to the chest in the 50th minute, which saw him on the sidelines for the remainder of the game.

With their former four try hero, Junior Pauga playing first grade for the Roosters, Allan Fitzgibbon took the next man up mentality in his stride, scoring over a third of his sides points to claim the Jason Taylor Cup.

Key Moment

The Magpies shocked the bears with consecutive tries before half-time, but it would be an inspired Bears outfit that returned to the field, scoring in the opening minutes of the second half through second rower, Reuben Porter.

North Sydney would continue to out enthuse Western Suburbs for the rest of the match.

What’s Next?

The Magpies face the second placed Newtown Jets at Henson Park on Saturday, while the Bears head out West to battle the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles who sit at 7th on Sunday afternoon.


Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners