You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Recap | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round 22

Round 22 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup kicks off on Friday night when the Bulldogs take on the Roosters at Belmore. NSWRL TV will feature one game this weekend as the Magpies take on the Rabbitohs with both sides looking to make their way into the top five.


Bulldogs v Roosters

Dragons v Sea Eagles

Panthers v Jets

Magpies v Rabbitohs

Raiders v Knights

Bears v Eels


Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Sydney Roosters

NSW Cup Highlights | Bulldogs v Roosters - Round 22

Bulldogs loss to Roosters at home shakes up top two

Ella Mullins

Game summary

Kicking off Round 22 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup on Friday night, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have fallen 10 points short of the Sydney Roosters in a 26-16 loss at Belmore Sports Ground.

Roosters winger Jaxson Paulo added first points to the scoreboard, with centre Robert Toia in support, before opting for a chip and chase to score. Paulo converted and the Roosters held at six-point lead in the first 10 minutes.

The Roosters capitalised on their early lead through a crack in the Bulldogs defensive line as Toia threw a seamless offload to lock Siua Wong, scoring under the posts. The conversion by Paulo was successful.

Minutes later, the Roosters found more success when Tyrell Neiufi dived over for his first try of the evening. The conversion was once again successful and the Roosters held an 18-0 lead heading into halftime.

The Bulldogs finally made their mark in the 45th minute when hooker Ryan Gray tenaciously battled through four defenders to score his first try of night. Running off high morale, the Bulldogs managed another try after Franklin Pele scored. Bailey Hayward’s conversion attempt was successful, bringing the margin to four points.

The Roosters gained strong field possession again, before an offload from captain Ethan King to centre Corey Allan saw the visitors extend the lead. The conversion by Paulo was missed as the Roosters had a 10-point lead at 22-12.

Canterbury-Bankstown came back fighting, with winger Jonathon Sua’s aerial manoeuvre giving the Bulldogs hope. The conversion was unsuccessful by Hayward, but Canterbury-Bankstown had closed in on the lead.

Bulldogs winger Eli Clark made an attempt for the try-line after a loose pick-up landed in his lap, but a determined Jade Anderson wouldn’t let Clark slide. A perfect tackle around the waist brought down Clark, as well as any hope left for Bulldogs. The final score at the full-time siren was 16-26.

Talking points

Coming off the interchange bench in his return from injury, Luke Thompson had an impact on the game, delivering strong hit-ups and not shying away from contact.

Jaxson Paulo was the leading man for the Roosters this evening, scoring two tries with 14 points despite two missed conversions. His attacking plays were crucial for his team’s success.

Key moment

Roosters five-eighth Joseph Whitikama Temara Taipari had a try-saving tackle in the 11th minute, preventing the Bulldogs from gaining early points before the hosts remained scoreless for 45 minutes.

What’s next?

The Roosters will battle the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles next Sunday at Wentworth Park, while the Bulldogs have the bye in Round 23.


St George Illawarra Dragons v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

The Sea Eagles make it three on the trot

Russ Haylock

Game Summary

The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles have secured their third consecutive win in The Knock On Effect NSW Cup, running out 38-20 victors over the St George Illawarra Dragons in Shellharbour.

Momentum ebbed and flowed right throughout the contest, but it was the Sea Eagles, on the back of a late double to fullback Jake Toby who took home two crucial competition points.

The Sea Eagles were quick out of the gates and had the scorers working early, crossing for the first two tries through Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega and Ryan Garner. Both tries came from cutout balls as halves Jake Arthur and Cooper Johns combined to put the visitors up 12-0 inside the first 15 minutes.

The Dragons fought back only minutes later when a Paul Turner kick was deflected back into the hands of Zach Herring, who threw a basketball style pass to flying winger Sione Finau to score out wide.

This was the first of a three-try burst from the Dragons, with fullback Treigh Stewart having a hand in the first and scoring the second to put the hosts into the lead for the first time of the afternoon.

They looked set to take said lead into the sheds with them, but a charging Samuela Fainu put the Sea Eagles back in front when he broke the line and passed for Clayton Faulalo to cross in the 36th minute.

Johns was unable to land a third straight conversion from out wide, making the score 16-14 to the Sea Eagles at half-time.

As was the case in the first half the Sea Eagles came out strong to begin the second stanza, and their patience inside the Dragons half was rewarded with points when yet another Johns cut-out ball put Garner over for his second of the afternoon.

Johns landed the kick to give the visitors an eight-point lead, but with 28 minutes remaining the match was still very much alive for both outfits.

The Dragons managed to wrangle back some momentum and forced the Sea Eagles to defend multiple sets on their line, and they put themselves right back in it when Jackson Shereb laid on a lovely offload for Stewart to score on their left-hand side.

Lobb landed the conversion to put them behind by just two with 13 minutes to go, bringing the home fans alive at Ron Costello Oval.

The fairytale finish was not to be for the hosts however, as Faulalo broke through from the middle of the field and laid on a pass for Toby to score under the posts, putting their lead back out to eight with six minutes to go.

Toby and centre Brad Abbey were able to score late tries to put the game well beyond doubt, as they secured a hard earned 16-point win away from home.

Talking Points

The Sea Eagles are still within striking distance of the top five after a 16 point win, while the Dragons now face a tough assignment to squeeze into the finals.

Late inclusion Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega bruised the Dragons defence with a hard-running performance on left edge.

It was a strange afternoon for Ryan Couchman after he scored early then going off at half-time to join NRL squad as they take on the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

Hookers Haleo Finau and Gordon Chan Kum Tong had an intruiging battle up the middle, each making the marker work and laying on kicks when needed.

Key Moment

With the score narrowed back to 22-20 and the match into the last 10 minutes, it was Faulolo who stepped up for the Sea Eagles, surging downfield between tired forwards and passing inside for Toby, who ran away to put his side up by eight and put his team squarely in the box seat.

What’s Next?

The Dragons will look to regain winning form when they take the Eels at Kellyville Park in Round 23, while the Sea Eagles look to win their fourth on the trot when they face the Sydney Roosters at Wentworth Park.


Penrith Panthers v Newtown Jets

Panthers win the battle for the Wilson-Blacklock Cup

Stewart Moses

Game Summary

The Penrith Panthers have continued to stake their claim for a top five spot following an impressive 30-6 win over fourth-placed Newtown at BlueBet Stadium, which puts the defending premiers just one point outside the top three with four rounds remaining.

Penrith withstood early pressure from the visitors to open the scoring in the 11th minute. Quick hands out to the left inside the Jets 20-metre line enabled Daeon Amituanai to crash over the south-east corner and with the successful conversion from the touchline, the home side was off to the perfect start leading 6-0.

Errors and ill-discipline proved costly for the Jets, enabling the home side to double their lead in the 19th minute when Luke Garner ran a good line from close range to crash over next to the posts.

Newtown were their own worst enemy throughout the remainder of the opening half, squandering good opportunities inside Penrith’s 20 as the Panthers went into the main break leading by 12.

A dropped bomb from the Jets gave the Panthers the perfect opportunity to attack from inside the Jets 20 earlier in the second half. Hooker Luke Sommerton capitalised on that opportunity when he crashed his way over despite the attention of several Jets defender to increase the lead to 16 points.

Newtown finally open their account midway through the second half, scoring the try of the game when five-eighth Daniel Atkinson burst through the line from inside his own half combining with halves partner, Niwahi Puru to put Samuel Healy over underneath the posts, narrowing the gap to 10 points.

The Panthers finished the game strongly to record an impressive 30-6 win with late tries in the final three minutes to Jack Cogger and Jesse McLean.

The latter was on the end of a terrific raid that went through several hands as the home side kept the ball alive to great effect inside the Jets 20.

Key Points

Penrith, despite the loss of Matt Eisenhuth to replace the injured Spencer Leniu in first grade, were still bolstered by the inclusion of Jack Cogger and Luke Garner.

Conversely Newtown, who are going through somewhat of an injury crisis at the moment, were at least able to welcome back 2022 The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup Player of the Year, Kayal Iro.

Newtown came into the clash having one of the better records against Penrith at BlueBet Stadium having won 5 of their last 9 at this venue, although Penrith overall have won 12 of the last 19 games played between the two.

Newtown’s backrower, Tuku Hua Tapuha, will have an anxious wait from the Match Review Committee having been placed on report in the first half for a dangerous throw.

Play of the Game

The Panthers may have been too good for the Newtown Jets, but the visitors did at least come up with the play of the game, scoring a long distance try to at least given themselves a chance of mounting a comeback when they scored their lone try midway through the second half.

The halves were instrumental in the 70-metre movement, with Atkinson bursting through the line before finding Puru in support with Healey taking the final pass to score untouched.

What's Next

The Panthers will face another stern test when they host the second-placed  Warriors at St Marys Stadium next Saturday while later on the same day, the Jets will be looking to bounce back into the winner’s circle when they play the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Redfern Oval.

Western Suburbs Magpies v South Sydney Rabbitohs

Rabbitohs win to stay within striking distance of Top 5

Bethany Conlon

The Sunday afternoon clash saw Blake Taaffe return to the line-up at Lidcombe Oval, as the Rabbitohs kept their finals hopes alive, piling on the points in an 18-36 win against the struggling Magpies.

Five minutes in it would be the Rabbitohs putting first points on the board through winger Tom Carr who received a cut-out pass from centre Josiah Karapani to score. Halfback Dean Hawkins slotted the conversion, extending the early lead to six points.

Swinging around to the right edge, Souths fullback Blake Taaffe tapped the ball on to winger Izaac Tu’itupou Thompson, who dove over in the corner in the 16th minute. Dean Hawkins’ conversion attempt was waved away in the strong wind at Lidcombe, leaving the score 10-nil.

An intercept from Magpies centre Tommy Talau gave his team their first real opportunity of the afternoon. Capitalising on the strong field position, Souths centre Triston Reilly scored after pouncing on five-eighth Zane Camroux’s fantastic grubber in the 33rd minute. Wind faded away Wakeham’s first attempt at goal, keeping the deficit 4-10.

Frustrations seemed to stir for Souths after some poor discipline in defence when Brock Gray found himself sin-binned and put on report for a dangerous tackle on Triston Reilly in the 32nd minute.

The Magpies used the resulting one-man advantage to create an overlap for winger Asu Kepaoa, who made an excellent finish in the corner to score in the 34th minute. Wakeham uncharacteristically failed to convert his second attempt at goal, which left the visiting side with a slim 8 -10 lead at half-time.

After absorbing early pressure from the Magpies to begin the second half, the Rabbitohs steamed down the right edge. This set up Blake Taaffe to step the opposition and offload to centre Jacob Gagai, who scored in the 44th minute. Hawkins failed to convert the subsequent attempt at goal.

Only four minutes later, stunned by the speed of Souths’ attack, the Magpies' left edge botched their collection of an ordinary grubber. This invited centre Gagai over for his second try. Hawkins extended the lead to 8-20.

Upon his return from the sin bin, Brock Gray made a break through the fatigued Magpies line. He completed this impact play with a tidy offload to Hawkins, who scored the Bunnies’ third of the second half. Hawkins successfully converted putting his side 18 points in front; 8-26.

As Souths continued to chance their arm down their lethal right edge, Magpie’s winger Asu Kepaoa snatched a loose pass from Blake Taaffe, giving his side a chance in the 54th minute. With a shot in front, Wakeham converted to put scores at 14-16.

Unfazed by the Magpies hit back, South Sydney sent the ball out the back to winger Tom Carr, who burnt the Magpie’s right edge and floated a pass back infield for five-eighth Dion Teaupa to score in the 61st minute. Hawkins’ conversion was unsuccessful, keeping Souths 16 points ahead; 14-30.

With just ten minutes remaining, the Magpies took on Souths’ left edge again to create an overlap for centre Triston Reilly, who stepped infield to secure a double for the day. Wakeham failed to convert, leaving his side trailing 18-30.

After a bustling effort on the line from Shaq Mitchell, Souths’ interchange player Shannon Gardiner held up a pass for Matt French. French steamed onto the ball, grounding it in the 76th minute, before Hawkins’ conversion extended Souths' lead to 36-18 to finish the game.

Key Moment

Poor Magpies communication was found out when their left edge failed to collect an average Souths’ grubber kick, allowing Gagai to pounce on the ball. This error opened the flood gates for South Sydney to put on another three in the second half.

Talking Points

This win was crucial for the Rabbitohs as they look to stay within striking distance of the Top 5.

With 4 Rounds remaining, they now sit tied for 5th place on 26 points along with the Panthers and Sea Eagles. However, due an unfavourable points-differential, Souths will almost definitely need to leapfrog these teams completely if they hope to compete in the finals.

Working in their favour is an upcoming Round 26 bye; neither the Panthers nor Sea Eagles have a bye remaining. Meanwhile, the Penrith and Blacktown Workers sides will matchup in Round 24, depriving at least one of them a much-needed 2 points in the lead-up to the finals.

What’s next?

The Magpies will make the trip down to Canberra to face the 8th-placed Raiders, whilst the Bunnies take on the 3rd-placed Jets at home at Redfern.

Canberra Raiders v Newcastle Knights

Late Newcastle tries conceal commanding Canberra victory

Tahlie Gavin

The Canberra Raiders have managed to hold off the Newcastle Knights in a 36 – 24 win at Raiders Belconnen.

The Raiders came out strong in the first half, leading the try scoring count three tries to one. The second half saw the Newcastle Knights continue fighting up until the very last second of the game. However, the Raiders were just too strong resulting in a 12-point victory.

The first points of the game came 15 minutes in, as a scrambling Raiders’ attacking set resulted in a try to Clay Webb, who powerfully forced himself over the try line from close range. Just 4 minutes later, Trey Mooney made his mark by spinning out of a tackle and reaching his arm out to score. Chevy Stewart was successful in adding the extras.

The Raiders were in again in the 28th minute as Ethan Strange made a break through defenders before getting a quick pass away to Raiders forward Mitchell Spencer, who showed off his speed running towards the try line to score. Chevy Stewart was successful in his conversion, taking the Raiders to an 18-point lead.

Newcastle’s skipper Jack Johns scored the final points of the half, as his powerful run got him through defenders and over the line. Lachlan Miller added the extras for the Knights, which took the score to 18-6 at half-time.

A strong start to the second half by the Canberra Raiders saw them add another 4-points just three minutes in. A great pick up and an even better run from Ethan Strange saw him pick up his second try assist of the game, throwing a cut out pass to winger James Schiller who crossed the try line.

Great defence by Raider’s prop Peter Hola forced a turnover which shortly after was rewarded by fullback Chevy Stewart taking a low dive from dummy half to score and successfully convert his own try.

After receiving a penalty to put them in promising field position, Newcastle’s Dylan Lucas received the ball and raced strongly towards the try line to score for the Knights. Miller successfully converted with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Only moments later though, the Canberra Raiders put together another set of back-to-back tries. First a cross-field kick from halfback Matt Frawley saw Harley Smith-Shields come up with the ball to score, before Frawley scored a try of his own via a brave run towards the line.

Newcastle’s determination continued until the very last second as they then put together back-to-back tries. First it was Callan Burgess forcing himself through Raiders defence and over the line, before Dylan Lucas made a break to score with just 1 second left on the clock.

Two successful conversions from Lachlan Miller weren’t enough to take the win away from the dominant Raiders, with the game ending on a scoreline of 36-24.

Talking Points

  • Ethan Strange continues to impress after making his mark in the U19’s State of Origin.
  • With this win, the Raiders remain a slim chance to play finals football. They sit in 8th-place on 25 points, behind the Panthers, Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs, who are all deadlocked for 5th on 26 points.

Key Moment

The Canberra Raiders looked strong for the majority of the game. But what really propelled them to victory was back-to-back tries to Harley Smith-Shields and Matt Frawley within the final 13 minutes. Matt Frawley set up Smith-Shields try with a great cross-field kick which the Knights failed to defuse, before he then scored himself just a few minutes later.

What’s Next?

The Newcastle Knights will head home to host the North Sydney Bears on Saturday August 5th. Meanwhile, the Canberra Raiders will host the Western Suburbs Magpies that same day in Canberra.

North Sydney Bears v Parramatta Eels

First-placed Bears Maul Parramatta Eels

Anthony Eltarraf

The North Sydney Bears secured a one-sided victory over the Parramatta Eels, scoring seven tries in a dominant 40-4 display at North Sydney Oval to consolidate their place at the top of the table.

The home side opened the scoring through a try to prop forward Regan Hughes, who ran a beautiful line off of Zach Dockar-Clay to get over for his side’s first of the afternoon.

Fetalaiga Pauga followed this up with a try of his own following a right side shift which saw the winger step inside to score closer to the posts, before his fellow winger Tuipulotu Katoa touched down on the opposite side to give the Bears a 16-point lead.

With six minutes to go before half time, the Eels finally got themselves on the scoreboard through a Turoa Williams try in the corner which wasn’t converted, meaning the Bears took a 16-4 lead at half time.

The hosts didn’t let their conceded try before half time phase them as they kicked off the scoring in the second half through a second for Pauga who reached out to touch down in the corner.

The Bears dominated the game all over the park, scoring through interchange five-eighth Ben Marschke before Elie El-Zakhem got a well-deserved try after causing trouble for the Eels all game.

Zach Dockar-Clay then added his name to the scoresheet with fifteen minutes to go to seal a one-sided 40-4 victory over the Parramatta Eels.

Talking Points

  • The Bears continue their solid form this season, consolidating their place at the top of the table after Round 22.
  • The Eels’ struggles this season continue as they look to improve their results in the last few weeks of the competition.
  • Elie El-Zakhem proved too hard to handle today, breaking through tackles and scoring a try to help his side to their dominant victory.

Key Moment

The opening try laid the platform for the Bears to seal a convincing win when Regan Hughes ran a perfect line to score near the posts. A well-timed short ball from Zach Dockar-Clay put Hughes through for his third try of the season.

What’s Next?

The North Sydney Bears travel to Newcastle next week to face the Knights who find themselves near the bottom of the ladder, while the Eels host the St George Illawarra Dragons at Kellyville Oval as they seek to bounce back from this afternoon’s display.

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners