You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

By Nathan Beuman

The Cronulla Sharks have tasted defeat for the first time in 2014, going down to a quality Illawarra Cutters side 34-22 at Remondis Stadium.

Errors at key times cost the Sharks, who struggled to keep up with an Illawarra side boasting the likes of Bronson Harrison and Jack Stockwell.

The Cutters opened the scoring courtesy of some quick hands in the third minute, throwing it out wide to Geoff Daniella who dived over in the left hand corner, giving the visitors an early 4-0 lead, after Sam Duggan’s conversion was waved away.

With Cronulla on the back foot following a penalty, the Cutters spread it wide again, this time to Nathan Smith on the opposite side, crossing for his first try of the afternoon. Duggan’s conversion put Illawarra up 10-0 after only ten minutes.

Cronulla pegged Illawarra back moments later though, when Nathan Stapleton jumped on a loose ball, before outrunning a number of Cutters chasers to score a spectacular 90 metre try. Stapleton however was unable to convert his own four pointer, leaving the scores at 10-4 after 14 minutes.

Peter Mata’utai was the next to cross for the Cutters, sneaking over with eight minutes left in the half, to put Illawarra out to a lead of two converted tries following the successful kick.

The Sharks hit back with three minutes remaining in the half, when Kurt Mann found Nathan Stapleton on the right hand edge, recording a first half double, before converting his own try, putting the scores at 16-10 heading into half time.

Illawarra came out switched on after the break, recovering the kick-off, before a lovely ball from Ryan Carr gifted Will Matthews his first try of the season, extending the visitors lead to 20-10 within the opening minute of the half, after Duggan’s conversion was waved away.

Cronulla managed to once again close the gap off the back of two quick penalties, when Michael Lichaa took advantage of a napping Cutters defensive line, diving over and brining the Sharks to within four points following the Stapleton conversion with 46 minutes gone.

Just when the Sharks looked to be climbing back on top, a beautiful out the back ball from Harrison had Smith in for his second of the afternoon. Duggan was unsuccessful with the conversion, leaving the scores at 24-16 with 25 minutes remaining.

In almost a replica try two minutes later, the Cutters again spun it wide to Smith, with Duggan this time converting the try, giving Illawarra a 30-16 lead with 22 minutes left on the clock.

After four repeat sets in a row, Cronulla finally managed to crack a strong Cutters goal line defence, when Junior Roqica strolled through almost untouched with six minutes remaining, putting the scores at 30-22 following Stapleton’s conversion, setting up a grandstand finish.

However, the Cutters rounded out the scoring in the 77th minute, when Mata’utai found an unmarked Daniella in the left hand corner for his second of the match, and securing a 34-22 victory for the Cutters.

The Cutters will look to go back-to-back when they host the Newtown Jets at WIN Stadium on Saturday; whilst the Sharks will travel to Hunter Stadium on Sunday to take on the Knights.

Illawarra Cutters 34 (N Smith 3, G Daniela 2, W Matthews, P Mata’utia tries; S Duggan 3 goals) def. Cronulla Sharks 22 (N Stapleton 2, M Lichaa, J Roqica tries; N Stapleton 3 goals) at Remondis Stadium.

Click here to view the VB NSW Cup ladder

Click here to view the draw for this weekend

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners