2014 VB NSW Cup TOTY - Selection Table
It is that time of year again folks, it is time to pick the VB NSW Cup Team of the Year.
After beginning the initiative back in 2010, the TOTY (team of the year) announcement has become one of the most anticipated dates on the VB NSW Cup calendar and the NSWRL.com.au team is once again calling for your nominations for the 2014 VB NSW Cup TOTY.
The team is picked by a panel of esteemed judges who sought through your suggestions and nominations and then vigorously debate amongst one another to eventually pick the final side which will be announced live on air during the VB NSW Cup Fox Sports Preliminary Finals coverage (Sept 21) and then also on NSWRL.com.au of course.
Our panel of judges consists of NSWRL Media and Communications team members Jamie Anderson and Adam Kidd, who have provided you all with the popular weekend coverage right throughout the 2014 season.
In providing this weekend coverage, the team have each attended at least one VB NSW Cup match per weekend right throughout the 2014 season, and in a lot of cases quite often several matches each weekend. We also have access to the full match highlights which you the punter view each and every week on this very website and via the NSWRL app.
Now while most fans giving their opinions on whom they feel should make the side often have formed said opinions based on only ever really focusing on their favourite side, and to be fair this is only human nature, we feel we have a less influenced view whilst having probably witnessed a greater spread of matches involving more sides in the process.
The third and final member of our selection panel is the Chief Editor of Rugby League News, Terry Liberopoulos.
Terry’s knowledge of the VB NSW Cup is second to none and like our NSWRL Media team, Terry is present around the grounds each and every weekend as part of his role for Rugby League News.
Now that you know who we are, let’s talk about the selection process for the team.
We have tabled the following basic criteria in regards to being eligible for selection. The main point for these criteria is to attempt to name the fairest and best side possible in regards to games played and overall exposure to the VB NSW Cup.
1) To be considered eligible for the TOTY a player must have played a minimum of 10 matches for their club/clubs during the 2014 VB NSW Cup season.
2) A player will only be considered eligible for selection in the position that he has played the majority of his matches in during the 2014 VB NSW Cup season.
3) Any player who has served three or more weeks suspension in total during the 2014 VB NSW Cup season will not be considered eligible for selection.
So now we are calling on you to have your say and nominate those players that you feel are worthy of consideration in this year’s VB NSW Cup TOTY.
A number of graduates from these sides have gone on to bigger and better things with names such as Daniel Tupou (2012), Josh Reynolds (2010 & 2011), George Burgess (2011), Darcy Lussick (2011), Gareth Widdop (2010) and Jesse Bromwich (2010) all now stars at their current NRL clubs.
For your reference, here is a reminder of who made the cut in 2013.
1. Henare Wells - Newtown Jets
2. Josh Mantellato - Newcastle Knights
3. Peter Mata'utia - Newcastle Knights
4. Stewart Mills - Cronulla Sharks
5. Eto Nabuli - Windsor Wolves
6. Darren Nicholls - North Sydney Bears (C)
7. Chad Townsend - Cronulla Sharks
8. Josh Starling - North Sydney Bears
9. Mitch Williams - Wyong Roos
10. Suaia Matagi - Auckland Vulcans
11. Ken Edwards - Wentworthville Magpies
12. Tupou Sopoaga - Cronulla Sharks
13. Tyrone Peachey - Cronulla Sharks
14. Damien Cook - Illawarra Cutters
15. Kane Evans - Newtown Jets
16. Sam Anderson - Windsor Wolves
17. Jason Clark - North Sydney Bears
18. Jarred Farlow - Wests Tigers
COACH: Tony Herman - Cronulla Sharks
So let us hear your thoughts, there are a number of ways for you to get in touch with us.
Select your favourite player or coach and contact us on twitter @NSWRL and vote using the #VBNSWCupTOTY hashtag or alternatively, head to the VB NSW Cup page on facebook and find the thread/article in relation to the TOTY and vote by posting your comment.
We look forward to hearing from you over the coming week, but be quick, as the side will be locked in a few days prior to being announced on Fox Sports VB NSW Cup coverage on Sunday (Sept 21).
'Like' the official VB NSW Cup page on Facebook and comment on the TOTY thread
'Follow' us on Twitter and use the #VBNSWCupTOTY hashtag
'Follow' us on Instagram and tag us in a snap of your favourite player using the #VBNSWCupTOTY hashtag