Tedesco Coy On Tigers Future
Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco has called for off-field stability at the embattled club, as he remains uncertain on where his future lies beyond this season.
The 24-year-old is yet to play finals football and admitted earlier in the year he was sick of sitting in his lounge room wondering "what if" as he watched eight other sides battle it out for the Telstra Premiership title in September.
After almost leaving the joint venture once before back flipping on the Raiders in 2014, Tedesco denied reports he was close to re-signing and called for stability from club management moving forward.
"I'm not sure [where those reports come from]… I don’t think I was about to re-sign but I'm just leaving that to [my manager] Isaac [Moses] and I'm really happy with how he's been handling it," Tedesco said on Thursday.
"He's kept me away from it all and I've been leaving it up to him."
Tedesco was hardly enthusiastic about indicating the Tigers were his first preference when asked if the club was a priority.
"We'll have to see… I want to be winning games so if that's here or at any club, that will be fine," he said.
"Once they make a decision on the coach then there will be a bit of stability again, but you never know what's going to happen in the future.
"The main thing for me is wanting to win games and play finals footy.
"I'm not playing at my best but as a team we really need to lift our performances to get wins."
The ongoing off-field dramas at the Tigers is nothing new for the Camden junior, but he is more worried about the younger players at the club like Moses Suli and Jacob Liddle who are experiencing it all for the first time.
"I'm used to the drama, it's been going on for four to five years now and had as many coaches too I think, so it's hard for a lot of the young boys who have come in but you've got to remain positive for them," Tedesco said.
"When I was younger it would [effect my form] and over the years but I've trained my mind to become strong and block out situations with all the dramas off the field.
"The board and guys upstairs need to really show some stability for us to be confident in our ability.
"I think they know that, it's pretty clear we need to get [things] stable because it's been unstable for years now and it all leads from the top."
Reneging on the Raiders deal three years ago was a lesson learnt for the incumbent Blues fullback, who insists he will be making the decisions once it's the right time for him to meet with player manager Issac Moses.
Tedesco denied being approached by rival clubs with offers as of yet, including the struggling Bulldogs.
"It was probably rushed decision [to sign with Canberra] and that’s why I'm taking my time with this at the moment and making sure I get everything right with this before I make a decision," Tedesco said.
"I haven’t heard anything directly from them (Bulldogs) or any club really.
"I haven't received any offers and he (Moses) doesn’t want to bore me with all the in between chit-chat.
"When there are offers and it's time to make a decision, that’s where I'll come in.
"I've made decisions before with contracts rushed for other people where now I have to look after myself."
This article first appeared on NRL.com