You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Live Coverage | Canterbury Cup NSW Rd 16

Round 16 of the Canterbury Cup NSW kicks off this Saturday with the Rabbitohs hosting the Mounties at Metricon High Performance Centre.

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Mounties

A powerful first-half from the South Sydney Rabbitohs has helped record a 30-18 victory over the Mounties at Metricon High Performance Centre on Saturday. 

Jaydn Su'A made a strong first impression in the cardinal and myrtle with a try in the opening half while Mirene Hiroti crossed for two tries of his own – one on either side of half-time. 

It was the Mounties third consecutive defeat in the Canterbury Cup NSW while it was South Sydney's fourth win in a row. 


Wentworthville Magpies v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

Jarrod Ryan

The Wentworthville Magpies have secured a hard-fought 22-16 victory over the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at Ringrose Park on Saturday. 

Bevan French again impressed with a first-half try while Tim Mannah laid a strong platform through the middle-third with powerful carries from start to finish.

Although the pair were crucial to the six-point win, it was the accurate boot of Rhys Davies, who kicked 5/5 conversions, which proved the difference as both sides crossed for three tries respectively.  

French opened the scoring in the fourth minute of play before the Workers earned a quick reprieve through Tony Williams just 10 minutes later. 

They would maintain a short burst of momentum when Dane Aukafolau crossed for another try in quick-succession before the Magpies drew level through Andrew Davey. 

Wentworthville went into half-time with a slender 14-10 advantage but it would be the Blacktown Workers who had a blistering start after the break  as Lloyd Perrett crashed over in the 44th minute. 

An ensuing conversion from Kane Elgey gave them a two-point lead before a penalty-goal from Davies just 10 minutes later drew the game level once again. 

French continued to be the shining light of the Wentworthville backline as he set up the next try with a deft pass for Greg Leleisiuao to help snatch the lead with the full-time siren drawing near. 

Although the Sea Eagles looked confident with the ball in hand, the efforts from the Wentworthville forwards proved to be the catalyst in the dying stages and helped secure back-to-back wins. 

Newtown Jets v St George Illawarra Dragons

Blake Edwards

The Newtown Jets have retained the Tom Kirk Cup after they held out a fast finishing St George Illawarra Dragons outfit to record a 24-18 victory at Henson Park on Saturday. 

The hosts were bolstered by the inclusion of young prospect Blayke Brailey, and were eager to impress as they were coming off a big Round 15 loss to the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

Meanwhile, the Dragons wanted to keep their momentum going, albeit with an under strength team, after they stole victory from the Penrith Panthers at the death in a tight tussle in Wollongong.

It was Newtown who started in fast fashion, troubling the scorers after just a few minutes had elapsed. 

Fullback Will Kennedy strolled through the Dragons defence from ten metres out to plant it over, before Daniel Vasquez barged over moments later to give the Jets an early 12-0 lead. 

Rubbing salt into the Dragons’ wound, the bluebags responded swiftly with a try to Tyla Tamou who finished off a nice backline movement to extend his sides lead to 16-4.

A brilliant 40/20 kick by Jets’ Jack Williams gifted the hosts great field position, where they looked to score off the first pla spreading it wide to winger Sione Kota, who was ultimately denied when he was deemed out touch-in-goal by the Touch Judge before grounding the ball.

Williams found himself in the action seconds later, when he grubbered for himself metres out from the line before winning the race to the steeden and planting it down to give the Jets a 20-4 lead with fifteen remaining before the break.

A fantastic late half try to Latrell Shcaumekel kept the momentum running with the Jets as they headed into the sheds with a 24-4 lead.

The Dragons were forced to play the remainder of the game with just the 16 men, after Pereria left Henson Park during the halftime break in the back of an ambulance, with Dragons medical staff confirming the back had suffered an injury to his right shoulder, along with a hefty concussion, reassuringly, the trip to the hospital is precautionary.

It was the red and whites other winger Jason Gillard who got the ball rolling in the second stanza, scoring a brilliant try out wide, looking to swing the momentum back in his sides favour, who trailed 24-8.

The contest entered a phase were the game flowed from end to end, though disappointingly, neither side was able to turn opportunities into points. The visitors looked the better footy side during this period, before a try to Sailor broke the stoush giving his side an opportunity to mount a comeback, trailing 24-14 with fifteen minutes left on the clock.

Steven Marsters contintued his try-scoring form when he barged over for a four-pointer, a rushed kick by Sailor was missed, meaning the Jets held onto a converted try lead 24-18 heading into the final five minutes. Despite a frantic final passage of play, Marsters try would be the final scoring play of the game, with the Jets holding on to secure a narrow 24-18 victory.

Newcastle Knights v Warriors

Robert Crosby

The Newcastle Knights have broken a four-match losing run, downing the New Zealand Warriors 12-0 in wet conditions at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Fielding a new-look squad headlined by seven players still eligible for Jersey Flegg - including five debutants - the Knights posted two early tries before backing their defence to move within four points of the top eight.

Starting full of confidence following a wealth of possession, Jacob Gagai delivered a superb cut-out pass to send winger Toby Marks (3rd minute) over for his first try in Canterbury Cup NSW.

Getting out to a 10-0 lead moments later, Gagai (9th minute) capitalised upon a Warriors error by regathering his own grubber to touch down next to the posts.

Working their way into the match by improving their discipline, the visitors closest chance of the first half came just before the break with Adam Keighran sending up a monstrous bomb spilled backwards by Gagai, only for Chanel Harris-Tavita to knock on with the line in sight.

Adding a penalty goal on the stroke of halftime after Warriors mid-season purchase Josh Curran was placed on-report for making contact with Bayden Searle while kicking, the Knights took a well-earned 12-0 lead to the change of ends.

With neither side able to make a dent on the scoreboard in the second 40 due to the wet conditions, the Knights came closest to extending their lead with a wayward attempt at penalty goal in the 60th minute, while moments later Kiah Cooper was beaten to a grubber by the dead ball line.

Growing increasingly frustrated at their inability to penetrate the Knights defence, Warriors second rower Taane Milne was sent to the sin bin for making high contact on Tevita Alifa in the 67th minute.

Remaining resilient in defence to deny Warriors winger Setu Tu during the closing stages, the 12-0 result saw the Knights hold an opponent scoreless for the first time in 2019.

Next week the Knights host the Bulldogs on Friday evening, while the Warriors have the bye.

Western Suburbs Magpies v North Sydney Bears

Hannah McGrory

The North Sydney Bears have made a statement over the Western Suburbs Magpies with a 32-10 victory at Campbelltown Stadium to claim the Jason Taylor Cup.


The Bears showed resilience after being defeated 32-10 by the Warriors last week and have broken their three-game losing streak.


The direction and leadership shown from the Bears halves combination, set them up to the 22- point win. Five-eighth Lachlan Lam returned following a wrist injury with Drew Hutchison shifting to the second row.


The Magies were missing playmaker Josh Reynolds which showed as they struggled to create attacking opportunities.

Bears five-eighth, Lam was rapt with the team effort displayed especially following three consecutive losses. His return comes following eight weeks on the sideline, after suffering a fractured wrist.

“It’s unreal (to get the win), I’ve been away from the boys for 8 weeks and to come back in my first full game in a while the boys really turned up. The first half set us up for the rest of the game, it was awesome to get the win,” expressed Lam following the win.

The Bears had a solid defensive display after they defended their line following three sets in a row. Bears winger Bernard Lewis was again tested under the high ball and redeemed himself, after unsuccessfully taking the catch earlier on.

In the 16th minute, the Bears forced a goal line drop out, leading to their first points of the game through Tom Freebairn. Halfback Brock Lamb put in a deft grubber as Freebairn crossed to open up the scoring. Lamb successfully converted to give his side a 6- nil lead.

The home side were dealt with a blow after their captain Robbie Rochow, came off for a HIA in 25th minute.

Back-to-back penalties were awarded to the Bears before Billy Smith found space down the left edge to score their second of the day. Pressure from the crowd didn’t shy Lamb away as he successfully converted, to give his team a 12-nil lead.

Opportunity struck again for the Bears as centre Billy Smith, went over for his second of the day. Smith chased through a kick down the middle of the field before kicking a grubber to the in-goal area before scoring again down the left-hand side. Lamb’s kick was waved away as it swung to the right of the posts.

Pressure was applied from the Wests Magpies team in next set before a penalty was awarded to the Bears. The visitors capitalised on the opportunity with Hutchinson offloading to Lam, who then ran straight through the defensive line and was tackled 10 metres out. Hutchinson was amongst the action again after putting in a brilliant grubber to his fullback Kieran Moss, who crossed for a four-pointer. Lamb successfully converted to assist his side go into half time with a dominant 22-nil  lead.

Wests Magpies captain Robbie Rochow returned to the field after passing his HIA. In the opening minutes of the second half, Magpies lost Henry Lealuga- Puhotau who required a HIA.

In the 55th minute, the Wests Magpies managed to score their first four-pointer of the game through Kane McQuiggin, however the conversion was unsuccessful as Bears remained in the lead 22-4.

Defensive pressure continued to be applied by the Bears throughout the second half, before centre James Tuitahi’s quick step found a gap and scored. Lamb’s kick was waved away as the Bears remained in the lead 26-4.

Twelve minutes later, Tom Freebairn was in for his second of the match. Hutchison took over kicking duties and successfully converted to extend the lead out to 32-4.

A consolation try was scored by the Wests Magpies in the 75th minute through centre Watson Heleta with Jock Madden converting.

The North Sydney Bears will face Newtown Jets next week with the Western Suburbs Magpies taking on Wentworthville.

Penrith Panthers v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Stewart Moses

The Panthers finish Round 16 taking back a share of the competition lead after recording a vital 28-18 win over fellow Western Sydney rivals, the Canterbury Bulldogs at St Marys Leagues Stadium.

The late inclusion of Jed Cartwright was a timely one given Penrith came into this game with their depth well and truly tested after losing Spencer Leniu, Stephen Crichton and Matt Burton to the NSW Under 20s side.

But the Bulldogs, who came into this round, leading the competition and fielding several players with NRL experience, were outplayed by their more inexperienced opponents, with Brendan Hands instrumental in the win for the Panthers, scoring one try and having a hand in two others.

The Bulldogs were quick out of the blocks to lead 4-0 after just the 2nd minute of play, capitalising on a Penrith error, to regain possession and score a couple of plays later through Kerrod Holland, who sliced through Penrith’s left edge defence to score out wide after some good lead-up work from Jesse Marschke and Faitala-Mariner.

As was the case for the Bulldogs, back-to-back sets from Penrith enabled them to hit back in the 8th minute with a try to Brendan Hands, who was on hand to take a brilliant offload from the skipper Kaide Ellis close to the try line and with Jed Cartwright’s conversion, the Panthers led 6-4.

Further consecutive sets from the kick-off allowed the Panthers to extend the lead out to 12-4 when off the scrum win 10m out, winger Jake Tago brushed aside some would-be Bulldogs defenders to crash over next to the posts in the 13th minute.

Canterbury off the back of a Penrith error and subsequent penalty, were able to score next through Faa’manu Brown whose show and go close to the try line fooled the Penrith outside defence enabled the five-eighth to dive over from close range, reducing the gap by four, midway through the first half.

With the game ebbing and flowing on consecutive sets, it was no surprise to see Penrith score next through Billy Burns, who was the recipient of a terrific around the corner pass from Brendan Hands, who only moments earlier earned his side a repeat set with a deft kick in-goal, with the fullback steaming through the gap to score from close range and with Cartwright’s simple conversion, the Panthers suddenly found themselves back out to a ten point lead inside 28 minutes. 

A second indiscretion when in possession and close to the Panthers try line was duly punished by the home side with one of the tries of the game, through Dean Blore eight minutes out from the main break, who was on hand to regather Brayden McGrady’s kick inside after the winger made a long-range break down the eastern touchline to give Penrith a commanding 22-8 lead to take into halftime.

As was the case in the first half, it would be the Bulldogs, who previously butchered two golden opportunities to score points, to score first through the former Panther, Crichton who finished off a nice backline move to score in the north-west corner and with Holland atoning for a relatively easy missed conversion earlier in the game with a magnificent goal from the western touchline to reduce the gap to 22-14 with 30 minutes remaining. 

And when Olive finished off a well-rehearsed backline move to score in the north east corner the Bulldogs suddenly trailed by just four points as the visitors began to dominate possession and territory.

But having been held scoreless for the vast majority of the half, the Panthers finally steadied the ship with a try of their own in the south west corner to McGrady, who was the beneficiary of a lovely cut-out pass from Hands, opting to run it instead of kicking on the last and with Cartwright’s sideline conversion, the home side had some breathing space leading by ten.

Sione Katoa was placed on report twice late in the game, the second of which leaving his team one man short for the remainder of the game with the hooker sent to the sin-bin, but the Bulldogs were unable to convert their opportunities into points, with Penrith running out 28-18 victors.

The win means the Panthers regain a share of the competition lead with the South Sydney Rabbitohs while the Bulldogs slip back to third with that loss.

Next Friday night sees the Bulldogs travel to Newcastle while Penrith will at the very least, maintain a spot at the top of the Canterbury Cup, having earned the week off with the bye.

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners