Tedesco considers representing himself after messy split with agent

Roosters star James Tedesco is prepared to handle his own multimillion-dollar portfolio amid a messy split with one of the NRL's highest-profile player agents, conceding "I haven't had the greatest experience" in dealing with the game's six-and-a-half percenters.

The NRL Integrity Unit has been alerted to an ongoing dispute between Tedesco and his long-time manager Isaac Moses, who acts for some of the biggest names in the game.

NRL.com understands the Roosters raised the issue with the Integrity Unit, and there is no suggestion of wrongdoing by the club or Tedesco in regards to its salary cap or his lucrative four-year contract.

It is believed third-party agreements are at the heart of the wrangling, which also comes as Moses and former business partner Joe Wehbe – the footballing whisperer Tedesco swears by – are embroiled in a Supreme Court battle over a business falling-out.

Tedesco confirmed on Thursday that he has not been left out of pocket or distracted by the dispute, his career-best form and bid for a Dally M Medal making for compelling evidence.

But the 26-year-old made his disappointment in the situation clear and voiced his concern over the influence player managers have, particularly with youngsters chasing an NRL career.

"Managers are a part of the game at the moment," Tedesco said.

"They actually play a bigger role than most people think. I think every player would have a manager so they do play a big role.

"It's probably hard to understand for the fans to know what managers do. But I don't know, I haven't had the greatest experience with them to be honest so far."

Asked whether he would consider representing himself when his big-money Roosters deal expires at the end of 2021, Tedesco said: "At this stage I probably could, to be honest.

"It's hard when you're a young kid and managers promise you the world, it's hard for parents and kids to know what the right thing is to do.

"As a kid I didn't know what to do either. When someone promises you something, when you're a kid you think that's pretty exciting.

"Now you sort of know how the game works and how you can promote yourself, and if you play good footy opportunities will come your way.

"You obviously need a little bit of guidance here and there, it probably would be hard on your own.

"But I know a lot of the older players are starting to do it on their own and probably feel more comfortable doing it on their own."

Along with Tedesco, Parramatta veteran Tim Mannah and exiled Wallaby Israel Folau are among those in the Moses stable that have sided with Wehbe in their business dispute.

Moses did not respond to requests for comment by NRL.com on Thursday.

Wehbe has long been a secretive figure in the game, with several stars including Tedesco, Daly Cherry-Evans, Tom Trbojevic and Aaron Woods speaking openly about his influence on their mental approach to the game.

Tedesco counts Wehbe as one of his closest confidants, confirming the property developer has been helping him through his issues with Moses.

The NSW and Australian No.1 went as far to say he would be the player he is today – widely regarded as the best in the NRL – without Wehbe's council.

"I still talk to him week-in, week-out about footy and about how I can improve and what I can work on," Tedesco said.

"I speak to him more than three times a week about anything I want to and it's really good for my head space and mentality.

"When I came back from a lot of injuries and I had to clear my mental space up, [Webhe] was a guy who definitely helped in that space.

"If I don't talk to him for a few weeks, which I never do, but if I didn't I would feel a bit lost. But I think he's guidance has really put me in a great position.

"I trust him with everything, he tells me straight up and down. He's a guy along with my family that I trust."