You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Presidents Cup Rd 9 | Around the Grounds

Updates on the last round of NSW Presidents Cup before the finals.

Wolves hand Pickers their first loss

Glebe-Burwood Wolves have handed the Maitland Pickers their first loss of the season in a 26-24 thriller at Henson Park.

Maitland already secured the minor premiership last week and therefore have no relinquished top spot on the ladder. They will host the Hills District Bulls in a Grand Final qualifier at Maitland Sports Ground next week.

While the win gives the Wolves a giant confidence boost heading into the finals next week, it did little for them in respect to their finals situation. Whether or not they won, they would be playing the North Sydney Bears at Leichhardt Oval in an elimination final next week.

Both of those finals next week are elimination finals, with the winners progressing to the Grand Final to be played in two weeks.

Maitland were first to trouble the scorers at Henson Park when Henry Penn crossed after his team fed the ball let off the kick-off. The Wolves hit back though when Lorenzo Mulitalo – Ronaldo’s brother – pounced on a grubber.

A right-to-left shift gave the Wolves the first lead of the afternoon when John Olive crossed, before the Pickers levelled the scores to 10-all just after the quarter-time drinks break.

The teams continued to go neck-and-neck for the game. Maitland changed the lead once again when Jacob McCudden stormed onto an inside-ball and ran 20 metres to score. The lead was short lived though as Josh Natoli got the scores back to 16-all.

The Wolves changed the lead again when they received a penalty goal just before half-time and took the gift two points.

Addison Demetriou created the biggest lead of the game when he ran a great line and charged 20 metres to the try-line to make the score 24-16 to the Wolves.

The Pickers simply would not go away. Sam Anderson crashed over for the minor premiers to decrease the margin to 24-22.

Both teams kicked one further penalty goal and the Wolves defended for pretty much the final 10 minutes but were able to hang on for a confidence-boosting victory.  

Bears bite back and redeem themselves after last weeks defeat 

The Western Suburbs have been left scoreless and absolutely dominated 44-0 by the North Sydney Bears today in their final regular season game of the NSW Presidents Cup.

After facing a big loss themselves last week to Maitland Pickers, 46-16, the Bears bounced back and produced their highest scoring game this season with a total of eight tries and six successful conversions.

Bears Winger, Michael Pearsall scored the first try of the match in the opening ten minutes which was successfully converted by five-eighth Coby Thomas.

Second try of the day came from the number six himself, who saw an open gap in the Western Suburbs defence line and scored for his side at the 29th minutes to put the lead to 12-0.

Ben Thomas scored two minutes later with another try for the Bears and Jordon Ah-One-Remfrey ran forty metres to the try-line in the final seconds of the first half to put them up 24-0.

The first try in the second half shadowed the first try of the day as Michael Pearsall snagged his second four-pointer, and then scored his third four minutes later.

Three more tries and two kicks followed suit before the final whistle was blown at 44-0 and the Western Suburbs nightmare battle could end.

The Bears will take a huge confidence boost out of today’s match into the finals next week.

Other matches

Thirroul Butchers 24 def Wentworthville 12

Hills District 44 def Dubbo CYMS 4

Click here for full Presidents draw and results. 

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners