You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Recap | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round Four

Round Four of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup kicks off on Thursday night with the 'Battle of the West' as the Eels take on the Panthers. The Magpies will take on the Bears live on NSWRL TV while the Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles and Warriors v Bulldogs games will be shown live on Fox League.

Dragons v Jets

Magpies v Bears

Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles

Eels v Panthers


Parramatta Eels v Penrith Panthers

Eels stage courageous fightback to topple Panthers

Anthony Eltarraf

Game Summary

Parramatta Eels have tonight completed a courageous comeback against Penrith Panthers to topple The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup premiers 22-16 at CommBank Stadium.

A mishap at kick-off from the visitors gifted the Eels early possession, but the home side was unable to capitalise after centre Zac Cini failed to plant a grubber kick down in the in-goal area.

The Panthers rebounded and took control of the game, breaking the deficit after a barging Eddie Blacker powered his way over the line.

The Eels responded with a try of their own on the back of a well-timed cut-out pass from Jake Arthur which found Haze Dunster. The Eels winger then showed brilliant footwork to get himself over for a try.  Jordan Rankin’s conversion attempt hit the post, to leave Parramatta behind 6-4.

Penrith extended their lead after the hosts failed to clean up a kick in behind their line, allowing Tom Jenkins to get a hand on the ball to give his side a 12-4 lead going into half-time.

The Eels overcame an error early in the second half to score through Mitch Rein, who picked up a loose ball and touched down next to the posts after the visitors lost possession.

Parramatta maintained the pressure with multiple repeat sets, leading to a perfectly-placed grubber kick for fullback Arthur Miller-Stephen to score and put his side in front for the first time. A second successful conversion from Rankin saw the Eels extend their lead to 16-12.

The hosts’ kicking game was lethal, with another grubber finding Miller-Stephen who tapped the ball forward for Joshuah Minhinnick to touch down and extend his side’s lead by 10 points.

The Panthers set up a grandstand finish after Tom Jenkins touched down in the corner from a set play at a scrum to reduce the margin to 22-16. The Eels however were able to hold on and run out the clock to seal a brave comeback victory.

Talking Points

Ball security proved to be a problem throughout the first half for the Eels as they gave possession away cheaply on numerous occasions, gifting Penrith easy yardage.

Parramatta’s kicking game was pinpoint in the second half, with all three of their tries in the second period coming off the back of kicks.

Eels No.7 Jake Arthur starred for the hosts, with his kicking game on point as well as assisting in three of the Eels’ four tries.

Key Moment

Minhinnick’s second try of the season sealed the comeback victory for the Eels, after a grubber kick found Miller-Stephen who tapped the ball forward for his winger.

What’s Next?

The Eels will be seeking their third consecutive win of the season when they travel to Wollongong to take on the St George Illawarra Dragons, while the Panthers return home to host the Canberra Raiders in what should be entertaining match.


Western Suburbs Magpies v North Sydney Bears

Visiting Bears too strong for Magpies

Michael Algeri & NSWRL

Game Summary

Western Suburbs Magpies suffered their second defeat of the season on Saturday in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, as North Sydney Bears proved too strong at Lidcombe Oval with a 36-26.

Wests started fast after a sharp ball from Triston Reilly allowed Israel Ogden to cross in the corner.

However, the remainder of the first half was all North Sydney, as the Bears scored five unanswered tries to make it 26-6 at the break.

Bears fullback Josh Bergamin opened then scoring after the break, before five-eighth Jesse Marschke kicked his fourth conversion to lead 32-6.

It was an improved second half for the Magpies, which began with Brandon Tumeth crashing over for his fourth try in three NSW Cup games to begin the 2023 season.

Reilly soon followed with a try and Ogden collected a second for the Magpies shortly after.

With seven minutes remaining North Sydney winger Tuipulotu Katoa crossed over to extended the Bears' lead beyond two converted tries.

Daine Laurie busted through for a four-pointer late in the second stanza, with Wests eventually succumbing to a 36-26 loss.

Talking Points

Despite the Bears playing four straight games on the road to begin their 2023 campaign, they have built a strong away record with three wins and one loss.

Key Moment

At 20-6 with a minute until the break, Bears winger Toa Mata'afa secured his hat-trick on the stroke of halftime.

Marschke's conversion to push the margin from 18 points to 20 made the Magpies' comeback task a little tougher going into the second half.

What's Next?

The Magpies host an in-form Warriors side at 1pm on Sunday 2 April, before the Bears take on the Sydney Roosters later that afternoon from 3.15pm at Wentworth Park.


South Sydney Rabbitohs v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

Classy Taaffe performance helps Rabbitohs secure first win of the season

Alex Hrissis

Game Summary

South Sydney Rabbitohs secured their first win of the KOE NSW Cup this Saturday afternoon, defeating the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 26-12 at Accor Stadium in Sydney Olympic Park.

This match-up between the two Sydney clubs began as a slow and gruelling encounter, both sides hitting the line hard and not giving the other side much room. South Sydney took the lead in the early stages after Blacktown gave away a penalty and Blake Taaffe nailed the two-pointer right between the posts.

The first clear cut chance of the game came shortly after Souths took the lead when the Sea Eagles found themselves on the 10m line and with some slick passing along the left edge, the ball found the hands of Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega who fumbled the ball just before the tryline.

The first try of the match came in the last ten minutes of the first half when Blake Taaffe found a break down the right-hand side of the field and bolted through the defence to set up a tidy finish for NRL journeyman Richard Kennar who dived into the corner. Taaffe converted from the sideline to send his team into halftime with an 8-0 lead.

Rabbitohs picked up right where they left off in the second half when Richard Kennar produced a superb grubber kick and Josiah Karapani leaped over several players to place his fingertips on the ball just before the dead ball line to claim his first try of the season.

Blacktown bounced back quickly to secure their first points of the afternoon with a delightful cut-out pass from Samuela Fainu which found the hands of Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega who used his sheer size and strength to push through three Rabbitohs players to force the ball down on the tryline. Cooper Johns converted nicely to make the score 14-6.

The Sea Eagles made it back-to-back tries when a tidy grubber from rising five-eighth Cooper Johns bounced perfectly for second rower Joshua Stuckey who grounded it with ease. A missed conversion from Johns left his side trailing 14-12 with 23 minutes to play.

The home side bounced back merely minutes later with some quick passing along the left edge which finished with Taaffe putting the ball on a silver platter for Tom Carr who dived over the tryline to extend the lead to 18-12.

It was more brilliance from Blake Taaffe when he broke through the line, whizzed past several defenders and grounded the ball directly between the posts. He converted his own try to make the score 24-12.

A late penalty goal to Rabbitohs from Blake Taaffe extended the final score to 26-12, awarding the home team their first win of the season.

Talking Points

Both teams searching for their first win of the season gave us an entertaining contest with the hosts coming out on top 26-12.

The inclusion of several first-grade players in this match - such as Blake Taaffe, Cooper Johns and Taane Milne - meant this encounter was always going to provide some entertainment, with tries full of class and flair on show this afternoon.

It was the battle of the five-eighths at Accor with both Blake Taaffe and Cooper Johns producing some fantastic playmaking which will certainly catch the eyes of head coaches Jason Demetriou and Anthony Seibold.

Key Moment

The momentum was all but steady in this match until Blake Taaffe produced some magical passing to send Richard Kennar over the line, the first of many try involvements of the day from the NRL utility.

What’s Next?

In Round Five of the Knock-On Effect NSW Cup, the South Sydney Rabbitohs will have the bye whilst the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles will host the Newcastle Knights on Sunday afternoon at HE Laybutt Field.


Warriors v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs


Newcastle Knights v Canberra Raiders


St George Illawarra Dragons v Newtown Jets

Hazelton stars in Jets’ comeback over Dragons

Pranav Harish

Game Summary

Front-rower Thomas Hazelton was the star of the show as the Newtown Jets fought back to beat St George Illawarra Dragons 30-16 in their Round Four Knock-On Effect NSW Cup clash.

Hazelton bagged two tries in a sensational performance to help his side bounce back from last week’s loss to the Raiders. He proved no match for the Dragons’ defence, who struggled to contain the Newtown prop throughout the contest.

After some errors in the early sets hampered both sides, the Dragons soon found an opening when winger Alexander Lobb scored the opening try down the right edge.

Newtown eventually hit back through a great try to Hazelton, who crossed over next to the posts. Niwhai Puru’s conversion had the visitors up 6-4.

Hazelton was charging onto the ball again off the next set, making another line-break of a Jayden Berrell pass. It led to the next try for winger Thomas Rodwell who scored untouched, helping the Jet to a 10-4 advantage.

The visitors headed into halftime at 12-4 ahead after Puru converted a penalty kick.

The Dragons’ second try of the match came when Haele Finau darted out of dummy-half near the Jets’ goal-line to put the ball down. The Dragons trailed 12-10.

The home side pounced on an error by Josh Mansour in their next attacking set for Lobb to score his second try and put the Dragons in front.

The Jets hit back with a try for Daniel Atkinson right under the posts to regain the lead.

After a missed chance from the Dragons, it led the Jets to put on a play down the other end of the field. Hazelton crashed over, this time under the posts, with another barnstorming run inside the Dragons red zone to bag his second try. The Jets sailed out to a 24-16 lead.

It was Atkinson who put the game to bed for the Jets with his second try, courtesy of Charbel Tasipale’s line-break down the right edge.

Talking Points

Thomas Hazelton lit up the Jets’ attack with his strong ball carries. His physical presence and leg speed constantly helped the Jets get on the front foot.

Dragons fullback Paul Turner was forced to limp off after suffering a lower leg injury late in the first half.

Key Moment

Down 18-16 midway through the second half, St George Illawarra had a chance to pull ahead after a break by Zach Herring. He had winger Alexander Lobb unmarked on his outside but rushed the pass after some strong inside pressure from Jets’ retreating defensive line.

At the time, a try would have helped the Dragons get back in front and potentially build on a four-point lead.

What’s Next?

The Jets will be back home in Round Five to take on the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, while the Dragons will head to Wollongong to host the Parramatta Eels.

Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners