You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Recap | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round Eight

Round Eight kicks off Saturday morning with three games including Dragons v Roosters live on NSWRL TV at 1pm. Three games will be played on Sunday with both the Knights v Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles v Eels games being streamed live on NSWRL TV.

Sea Eagles v Eels

Knights v Rabbitohs

Raiders v Jets

Magpies v Bears

Dragons v Roosters

Warriors v Panthers


Warriors v Penrith Panthers 

Top side checked

Richard Becht &

Fullback Taine Tuaupiki has proved a goal-kicking saviour for the One New Zealand Warriors for the second week running.

Last week his high-pressure conversion after the siren sealed a dramatic 26-24 win over the St George Illawarra.

And on Saturday he was the man of the moment again in the home side’s eighth-round clash against the unbeaten Penrith Panthers at North Harbour Stadium in Albany.

The Warriors had been leading for more than 70 minutes of the contest only for Penrith to snatch a converted try to go 22-20 ahead with eight minutes to play.

It stayed that way until the dying stages when the home side received a penalty and opted to take the two points on offer, Tuaupiki obliging to seal a 22-22 draw and stop the Panthers securing a seventh straight win.

Tuaupiki’s goal kicking was the difference for the Warriors yet again.

Tuaupiki converted all three of his side’s tries and kicked two penalties against the Panthers but the visitors converted only three of their four tries.

The Warriors made a hot start to the contest with promoted Jersey Flegg Cup halfback - and ex-Panthers junior - Luke Hanson scoring in the first minute before Penrith hit back 10 minutes later.

Warriors hooker Makaia Tafua went over in the 16th minute and interchange forward Kayliss Fatialofa followed in the 21st minute to extend the Warriors’ advantage to 18-4.

Penrith added a second try through fullback Isaiah Iongi before Tuaupiki slotted a penalty just before halftime to have the Warriors 20-10 ahead at the break.

It wasn’t until the last 20 minutes that Penrith was able to break down the resilient Warriors as they scored through Trent Toelau and Jesse McLean to take a 22-20 lead and threaten to deny the young One New Zealand Warriors side any reward – until Tuaupiki rescued a point.

That lifted the Warriors to ninth on the ladder with seven points.


St George Illawarra Dragons v Sydney Roosters 

Roosters come away with close win

Bailey Whitton

Game Summary

The Sydney Roosters earned their first win over the St George Illawarra Dragons in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup through a 77th minute field goal by halfback Jack Elliott.

The Roosters lost to the Dragons twice in their inaugural NSW Cup season in 2023 but turned their fortunes around in 2024. They were down 18-4 at halftime but kept the Dragons scoreless in the second.

The Dragons started with more energy holding the Roosters inside their half with strong defence and slowly getting better field position.

It wouldn’t be long before they got their first shot at the try line, but when the moment came coordination failed them and they spilt the ball.

Roosters five-eighth Reece Foley capitalised on the opportunity with an attacking bomb, which the Dragons fumbled in the in-goal leading to the opening try by Ethan Clark-Wood.

Dragons centre Benjamin Johnson made a line break, running over half the length of the field but was taken out by a desperate Roosters defence just centimetres from the try line, as they defended their lead.

In the 17th minute that would change, with a Dragons offload from 40 metres out setting up a series of passes down the left-hand side, ending with a Savelio Tamale try (6-4).

The Dragons attack kept overpowering the Roosters, but they couldn’t execute their last-tackle plays and kept giving up the ball through errors.

In the 29 minute, another series of damaging offloads followed by a strong Michael Molo run set the stage for Jesse Marschke. He took the ball in hand and ran on the fifth before offloading, followed by a cut-out pass to Tamale for a double.

The Dragons scored the last try of the half and their only one from a set play after Marschke put a beautifully weighted grubber through to the posts, sitting up for a Josh Ralph (18-4).

The second half began with more attacking ball for the Dragons after the Roosters gave away a penalty in the first set.

But it wasn’t long for the game to turn in the Roosters favour.

They fought their way downfield with the help of a six-again call, finding themselves camped on the Dragons try line.

Elliot shaped a kick to the win drawing in the defence, before dancing around them to go through the line and get the Roosters back in the game.

Trading penalties and forced errors led to a scuffle in Ryan Couchman heading to the sin-bin leaving the Dragons down a man.

The Roosters didn’t take long to capitalise, spreading the ball wide and running back inside to dodge the spreading defence allowing Lewis Murphy a try in the 65th minute (18-16).

The Dragons were trying to hang on until Couchman’s return but in their desperation, they give away a penalty on the goal line. The Roosters gladly took the chance to even up the score.

The two sides both threatened to score the match-winner but cthe end came with Elliott’s field goal with barely three minutes left.

Talking Points

- The Roosters stayed in the game and refused to put their heads down. They were losing control in the first half, but they stayed in the fight so when the opportunity came they were ready.

- The Dragons’ attack focused on second-phase play in this game, breaking down the Roosters structure and playing free-flowing football.

Key Moment

The timing of Jake Elliot’s try to start the second half, followed by Ryan Couchman’s sin bin took all the momentum away from the Dragons and put them severely on the back foot.  

What’s Next?

Both teams go to Sydney next week with ‘away’ games. The Dragons face the Newtown Jets, while the Roosters go head-to-head with last year’s NSW Cup runners-up the North Sydney Bears.

Western Suburbs Magpies v North Sydney Bears 

Bears too strong for improved Magpies

Anthony Eltarraf

Game Summary

North Sydney Bears have re-taken second place on the ladder for The Knock On Effect NSW Cup after a convincing 28-16 victory today over Western Suburbs Magpies at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

The Magpies came out firing, scoring early through Reuben Porter who ran an excellent line to power his way over, before Justin Matamua touched down in similar fashion, hitting a hole and reaching out to give his side a 12-0 lead.

The Bears answered back with just under eight minutes remaining in the first half when Dean Ieremia went over untouched following a perfectly-executed catch and pass by Jake Toby. Kieran Hayman converted the try, taking his side into the sheds trailing 12-6.

The visitors carried their late first half momentum when play resumed with Rua Ngatikaura scoring a double; both coming from dummy-half to give his side their first lead of the afternoon (18-12).

The Magpies brought the game back to within two points when Jayden Sullivan showcased his footwork, stepping around players and dodging tackles before throwing a cut-out pass for Solomona Faataape to finish off in the corner.

It only took five minutes for the Bears to answer back and extend their lead, scoring off a scrum following a brilliant solo effort from Sua Fa’alogo to slice through the defence.

The Bears left their best try until last through Hayman who dived over in the corner after supporting a flying Allan Fitzgibbon, who raced 80m down field to score and secure a 28-16 victory.

Talking Points

- Although they failed to get two points, the Magpies looked a better and more determined side than last week’s team that took on the Panthers.

- Jake Toby was brilliant in fullback, playing like a third half, steering his side around the pitch and constantly remaining around the ball.

- Star player Sua Fa’alogo continues to state his claim for a first grade spot after another outstanding performance for the Bears.

Key Moment

Sua Fa’alogo’s solo effort from the scrum gave his side breathing room after the Magpies brought the game back to within two points. Getting the ball in the left centre position, Fa’alogo showed his agility to beat his counterpart and extend his side’s lead.

What’s Next?

The Magpies travel to Accor Stadium to face the Bulldogs who come off of a bye, while the Bears host the Roosters who come off of a nail-biting victory over the Dragons.


Canberra Raiders v Newtown Jets 

Raiders defeat Jets with dominant second half

Tahlie Gavin

Game Summary

A second-half masterclass from the Canberra Raiders caught the Newtown Jets off guard, as the Raiders pulled together a 42-12 victory at GIO Stadium in Round Eight.

After a back-and-forth start to the game, Raiders half Mitch Henderson put on a brilliant solo effort in the 13th minute for the first try. A grubber kick and chase saw Henderson regather the ball to put it down, with Adam Cook converting successfully.

Later Raiders centre Nick Cotric came up with a break, running wide and making his way around defenders to put the ball down next to the posts. Cook converted, taking Canberra to a 12-0 lead at halftime.

Peter Taateo added the first points of the second half for the Raiders powering his way over the line just under the posts. Cook converted from in front.

Jets five-eighth Mawene Hiroti was on the receiving end of an incredible last-line attacking effort, regathering their own bomb to the Raiders’ red zone, thenthrowing some desperate offloads to the wing where Hiroti successfully grounded the ball in the corner. A bounce off the posts saw Hiroti convert his own try.

Minutes later, the Raiders hit back through Mitchell Spencer running wide and taking Newtown defenders over the line with him. Shortly after, Nick Cotric scored his second try of the afternoon from huge cross-field bomb by Mitch Henderson. Cook converted both tries taking the Raiders to a 24-point lead.

Henderson was in again to score for the green machine, set up by fullback Manaia Waitere splitting the Jets’ defence and allowing Henderson to cross. Another successful conversion added six more points to the Raiders’ lead.

The Raiders kept coming as the Jets began looking tired. The Raiders managed just one more try before the final siren through winger Jed Stuart. Cook’s conversion was successful.

The Jets found room to answer back with just two minutes left on the clock. Passing out to the wing, Newtown’s Blake Hosking found a gap in Canberra’s defence making his way over the line. A successful conversion from Hiroti proved too late for a Jets comeback as the Raiders took out the 42-12 victory.

Talking Points

- An early blow for the Jets looked costly as captain Jayden Berrell left the field within three minutes clutching at his left shoulder. He did not return to the field.

- Jets’ Chris Vea’ila and Raiders Zac Woolford were both placed on report in the first half.

- It was the battle of the Puru brothers in the nation’s capital. Last meeting in Round Four with a 28-all draw, Hohepa Puru led his Raiders to a 30-point victory over his brother Niwhai’s Jets.

Key Moment

Mitch Henderson’s second try of the afternoon in the 65th minute came from the efforts of his back-line, and stepped any chance of a Jets comeback.

What’s Next?

The Raiders will take on the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at 4 Pines Park on Saturday 4 May. On the same day, the Jets will return home to play St George Illawarra Dragons.


Newcastle Knights v South Sydney Rabbitohs

Newcastle display dominance against reigning Premier

Mason Cernoy

Game Summary

After a first half with disciplinary issues, the Newcastle Knights put their heads down in the second half and piled on the points to beat the South Sydney Rabbitohs 34-12 in Round Eight.

The match started fast with both teams getting some opportunities to score in the first five minutes.

Following a knock-on from Kyle McCarthy on halfway, and a set restart, the Rabbitohs next attacking set proved fortunate when Dion Teaupa hit William Swann on the inside and he crashed over underneath the sticks.

Their next attacking raid resulted in Teaupa’s grubber hitting a teammate in an offside position as Newcastle got to start their set 40 metres from their own line. Off the back of a dominant set, Jack Cogger spun a brilliant ball to Laitia Moceidreke to level the scores.

Zac Makelim made an immediate impact after taking the field, causing all sorts of problems for the tiring Knights forwards. Off the back of this momentum Bayleigh Bentley-Hape slashed through the defence for a second South Sydney try underneath the sticks in the 32nd minute, resulting in a 12-6 halftime score-line.

As the second half was underway, Moceidreke came up with a strong carry that got his side out of trouble and eventually resulted in a penalty. Starting their set just past halfway, Cogger initiated a move out to the right side which saw James Bradley cross for the equaliser.

South Sydney started to lose their way, giving away penalties off of consecutive kick-offs which eventually resulted in tries to Moceidreke and Kyle McCarthy. Moceidreke’s came off Will Pryce sweeping out the back, and McCarthy’s off a well-placed Pryce grubber which he pounced on to extend the lead to 22-12.

After being awarded a scrum from a Rabbitohs error, the Knights struck again with a stellar effort down the right-hand side when James Bradley found room to motor down the touchline before getting a ball inside to Kyle McCarthy, who slipped the ball to Liam Sutton to stroll over untouched.

With a 16-point lead and 15 minutes left, Newcastle were looking to close out a victory and the Rabbitohs needed to produce something quickly. South Sydney managed to get on the attack a few times through winning a short kick-off and being awarded a penalty, but ultimately couldn’t produce another four-pointer.

After being tackled after kicking, Liam Sutton was awarded a penalty from 10 metres out near the sideline after his kick had landed there. Will Pryce added another two points to the score-line, making it an 18-point margin.

The result had been decided by this point, but the Knights weren’t done. Finding themselves in good field position once again, Pryce hit Moceidreke with another cut-out ball and he found Thomas Jenkins on the inside to bring the final score out to 34-12.

Talking Points:

- Laitia Moceidreke had an afternoon to remember, scoring two tries, laying on another, and making plenty of crucial carries for his side.

- Zac Makelim was impressive on a losing side, and was one of the most threatening players on the park with ball in hand.

- Having Will Pryce playing at fullback added another dimension to Newcastle’s attack. Having three quality ball-players in the spine created lots of confusion for South Sydney, and plenty of opportunities for Newcastle.

Key Moment

The turning point in this match was the back-to-back penalties South Sydney conceded from kick-offs in the leadup to the Newcastle’s second try. Starting over halfway after scoring twice put the Knights on the front foot, and the match wasn’t salvageable for the Rabbitohs from that point.

What’s Next?

The Rabbitohs return home to take on the Penrith Panthers at 5.25pm on Thursday, and the Knights welcome the Warriors to McDonald Jones Stadium for an 11:30am fixture on Sunday.


Blacktown Sea Eagles v Parramatta Eels 

Local derby leaves Sea Eagles in strife

Ella Mullins

Game Summary

The Parramatta Eels returned to winning ways on ANZAC weekend after an outstanding 36-22 win over hosts, the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles.

The Eels established early dominance with a fiery first half, but the Sea Eagles did not back down from the challenge hitting back with three tries in the final 40 minutes.

Eels centre Sean Russell had an explosive start. After running half the length of the field Russell was captured, but with two tackles remaining in the set the Eels’ spine looked to their left, offloading to Jake Tago with a flat ball to score. The conversion from Daejarn Asi was successful, leading 6-0.

The visitors kept the intensity high, notching another try when five-eighth Blaze Talagi delivered a flick pass 15 metres out from the try-line to Asi. The halfback’s offload floated in the air before reaching an unmarked Isaac Lumelume to charge for corner and score. A clean strike from Asi scraped past the post as the Eels led 10-0.

The Sea Eagles hit back in the 22nd minute when a left-wing raid orchestrated by the spine propped up winger Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega for their first try. Now only four points separated the rivals at 10-6.

With less than 10 minutes to go in the half, the Eels capitalised for the third time when Kelma Tuilagi, off the back of a short ball, put on the footwork to score against his former side. Just shy of 40 minutes, Parramatta dominated once more after Asi dummied and lunged over the try-line. After a successful conversion from Russell, the score was 22-6 at halftime.

The start of the second half did not disappoint when Lumelume went in for his second try after a beautiful touch from Tuilagi chipping over the line. Soon after, Parramatta came back for more points when Tuilagi chipped the ball just shy of the 20-metre mark. It found Russell mid-air and the centre knocked it back to Zac Cini, who ploughed through the Sea Eagles’ back-row to score. The score-line was a staggering 30-6.

Taking matters into his own hands, Vaega made a linebreak at the 50-metre mark for the hosts, charging past Cini to score. Vaega’s solo try shortened the deficit to 20 points.

The point-scoring from the Eels continued with under 14 minutes of play left. Busting out of a tackle, Russell scored his first try for the match.

The Sea Eagles had a last-minute resurgence after a seamless transfer from Brandon Wakeham to Heleta to score, gave the hosts hope.

The match ended with a hat-trick from Vaega and a conversion from Wakeham, but it wasn’t enough to dismantle the Eels. The match finished at 36-22.

Talking Points

- The Eels display in the first half was clinical. Talagi and Asi were crucial to their side’s performance, notching a try and an assist between them.

- Despite falling short, the Sea Eagles returned to the second half with a vengeance. Vaega ended his Round Eight campaign with a hat-trick – the most tries out of both sides.

Key Moment

The Eels’ back-to-back tries from Tuilagi and Asi during the final moments of the first half solidified Parramatta’s ascendancy as they went into halftime.

What’s Next?

The Sea Eagles will host the Canberra Raiders at 4 Pines Park for a Saturday afternoon showdown, while the Parramatta Eels have the bye in Round Nine. 


Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners