Bleeding Blue Since '99.
Origin II, 1999: a record crowd of 88,336 packs into the recently-opened Stadium Australia (ANZ Stadium) to watch NSW level what remains the tightest Origin series of all time. The Blues win the contest 12-8 to set up a decider.
It was a stormy night at the new Olympic venue, but the weather didn't dampen the spirits of one group of diehard fans. Dan Blatch, celebrating his 18th birthday, and several friends donned the now-famous blue wig and T-shirt - and Blatchys Blues was born. The night was a success and Blatchys have been attending Origins ever since.
What started as a novel birthday idea has since grown to become the world-famous sea of blue. More than 12,000 Blatchys now regularly take over the northern end of ANZ Stadium and they can also be found in large numbers at interstate venues, such as Suncorp Stadium and the MCG.
Since 1999, however, one thing hasn’t changed: Blatchys Blues is all about being part of something fun, big and blue. People from all walks of life - passionate Rugby League fanatics, those new to the game and everyone in between - come together in an annual celebration of NSW, giving an extra voice of support for our state and team. On our wigs, our shirts and in our hearts, we always bleed blue.
Blatchys Light Up With SMARTWiG
Blatchys Blues has come a long way since the 18th birthday party in 1999, but its most significant evolution came in 2017 with the reinvention of the iconic blue wig.
Powered by The Star, the all-new SMARTWiG took the State of Origin experience to a whole new level for a sold-out section of 12,000 Blatchys at Game Two of the series.
The Star gave the humble wig a supercharged upgrade, with an LED antenna lighting up throughout the game and in a special pre-match display at ANZ Stadium. Additionally, the wig included a built-in headphone, connecting wearers to SMARTWiG radio: an exclusive six-hour radio program including Triple M's expert commentary and calls to action from NSW True Blues Nathan Hindmarsh and Bryan Fletcher.
It signalled an exciting rebirth of The Star-backed Blatchys Blues, with SMARTWiG to become a key part of Sydney-based State of Origin matches. Full details of the 2018 version of SMARTWiG will be released closer to the series commencement.
As a Blatchy, you'll receive a number of benefits that no one else in the stadium receives, making it the clear choice when attending a State of Origin fixture.
- Some of the best seats in the house alongside fellow passionate NSW fans - whether the team plays in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth.
- Subscription to the exclusive "Blatchys Bluesletter," giving you exclusive Origin-related content every fortnight during the NRL season and sending major breaking news directly to your inbox.
- The famous blue T-shirt and your crowning glory, the Blatchys Blues wig. These can be picked up outside the stadium on game days upon display of your ticket.
- For Sydney-based Origin matches, you will receive a SMARTWiG, plugging you into the exclusive Blatchys Blues game-day radio station and lighting up the NSW end throughout the night.
Tickets for Origin I and Origin II 2018 can be purchased here. Tickets for Origin III in Brisbane will go on sale later in 2018.
Where do I pick up my Blatchys Blues supporter pack - including my wig and T-shirt?
Your supporter pack will be available to collect from various distribution points around the stadium where the game is played, with exact location points to be communicated on NSWRL.com.au closer to the date.
What time can I pick up my Blatchys Blues Supporter Pack?
Supporter packs will be ready for collection in the hours leading up to kick-off on game day, with exact times TBC.
What T-shirt sizes are available?
Large and XL sizes will be provided and subject to availability.
Can I pick up Blatchys Blues supporter gear for others?
Yes, you may pick up one supporter pack per ticket provided.
Which sections are Blatchys Blues seated in?
In 2018, the Blatchys Blues dedicated sections will be as follows:
- Origin I, MCG: Blatchys Blues will be located in the southern corner across the Ponsford and Great Southern Stands, between Aisles M-19 and M-36
- Origin II, ANZ Stadium: Blatchys Blues will be located in the northern end of the stadium, between Aisles 113 and 122, 317 and 321.
- Origin III, Suncorp Stadium: this is TBC, pending ticket sales commencing later in 2018.
I can’t make it to the game. What’s the best way to support the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues and still feel like I’m amongst the Blatchys Blues?
The Star, the Official Home of the NSW Blues and Blatchys Blues, is the best place to watch the match if you can’t make it to the game. With the big screens, great food, specials and more, it’s the next best thing to being there. The Star has venues in Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
I want to be a part of the Blatchys Blues as a member. Where do I sign up?
Great decision! Welcome aboard.