You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Recap | The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup - Round 13

Round 13 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup kicks off on Friday at 5.40pm with the Parramatta Eels up against North Sydney Bears at CommBank Stadium.

From 5.10pm on Saturday the South Sydney Rabbitohs host Canberra Raiders at Accor Stadium in Homebush, before four Sunday games to close out the round.

Sunday's 1pm game between St George Illawarra Dragons and Western Suburbs Magpies will feature on NSWRL TV, streamed live via NSWRL Facebook.

Roosters v Jets

Knights v Sea Eagles 

Dragons v Magpies

Warriors v Panthers

Rabbitohs v Raiders

Eels v Bears


Parramatta Eels v North Sydney Bears

Eels upset ladder-leaders at CommBank Stadium

Hugo Lumb

Game summary

The Parramatta Eels secured an impressive 26-8 win over the North Sydney Bears in Round 13 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

The Eels scored the first points of the night, with centre Isaac Lumelume continuing his run of try-scoring form to lead 4-0.

Parramatta continued the ascendency, taking advantage of an error from North Sydney and crossing in the corner through winger Joshuah Minhinnick.

Camped on the Bears’ line in the 30th minute, the Eels drew a penalty and captain Jordan Rankin elected for a shot at goal. He successfully extended the lead to 12-0, which became the halftime score.

With 27 minutes remaining the Eels added another two points to lead by 14.

Parramatta pushed further ahead when interchange forward Niko Apelu steamed onto a pass from Rankin to give the Eels an almost unassailable 20-point lead.

This margin increased as Eels front-rower Ky Rodwell produced some individual brilliance to crash over in the 68th minute.

With the match drawing to a close, the Bears gained two consolation tries to winger Alfred Smalley, completing the 26-6 final score.

Talking points

The Eels sported a new-look spine following Jake Arthur’s departure. Former centre Zac Cini moved back to fullback and flourished in the No.1, While Daejern Asi switched to five-eighth, providing a kicking game which consistently put the Bears under pressure.

After a five-game winning streak and last week’s emphatic comeback against the Bulldogs, tonight’s performance appeared uncharacteristic of the top-of-the-table Bears side.

Key moment

As the Bears trailed by 14 points with just over 20 minutes remaining, Apelu’s four-pointer effectively put the game to bed. After marching up the field, a pass from Eels captain and halfback Rankin found the interchange forward in space to dive over the line. It gave the Eels their third try for the match and helped them to a lead 20 points. 

What’s next?

The Eels head North to face the Newcastle Knights in Round 14, while the Bears return home to face the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at North Sydney Oval.


South Sydney Rabbitohs v Canberra Raiders

Pranav Harish

Game summary

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have beaten the Canberra Raiders 26-20 in a tough Round 13 contest to bounce back from last week’s loss to Parramatta in The Knock On Effect NSW Cup.

Both sides drew level at 14-14 and 20-20 on the scoreboard in the second half, but it was a try to Souths centre Josiah Karapani that broke the deadlock and sealed the win for the Rabbitohs.

With four tries apiece it was the goalkicking of Souths half Dean Hawkins that proved the difference.

The Raiders blew an early chance at scoring the first try, when the Bunnies lost possession just outside their red zone.

The ball found its way to winger to Utuloa Asomua but he wasn’t able to control it before it went over the northern touchline.

Souths were rewarded for toiling hard in defence with the opening try to Richard Kennar. The winger scored down the southern touchline to take his side to 6-0 after the Rabbitohs capitalised on good field position.

The Raiders didn’t take long to reply, when Peter Hola crossed five minutes later.

Raiders five-eighth Matt Frawley burst through the defence after Canberra got themselves close to the line. Hola who went through a gaping hole to score untouched.  

Jed Stuart scored the Raiders second try off Canberra’s next attacking set to put the visitors in front 10-6. The Raiders started to dominate the ruck as the Green Machine began to find space comfortably. 

Behind on the scoreboard, errors started to creep into the Bunnies game but their defence remained strong.

A try to Shannon Gardiner helped Souths draw level on the scoreboard. Peter Mamouzelos darted out quickly from dummy half after getting a good play the ball to set up Gardiner back on the inside. The Rabbitohs went back out in front 12-10.

Just minutes out from halftime, the Raiders snatched the lead back with a try to Brad Morkos to take a 14-12 advantage into the break.

Souths had a clumsy start to the second half, but they drew level through a penalty by Hawkins (14-14).

The Raiders continued to give away penalties through their ill-discipline in defence.

It proved costly when hooker Mamouzelos scurried out from dummy half to put the Rabbitohs back out in front. 

The Raiders finally hit back through speedster Xavier Savage, who scored off the back of a penalty.

After both sides scrambled in defence to shut down several attacking raids, it was the Raiders who cracked first.

Karapani managed to dive on a loose ball to score after Hawkins put in a wobbly kick on the last tackle, which bamboozled defenders.   

Talking points

Hookers Dani Levi and Peter Mamouzelos both played important roles for their sides.

The two No.9s controlled the ruck at different stages to help set up tries.

Levi was busy throughout the game and his experience helped steer the Raiders whenever space opened up.

Key moment

Down 6-0 early in the first half, the Raiders blew a chance to score when they set up a brilliant play down the short side on their right edge.

James Schiller made a break but his pass on the inside found Rabbitohs winger Tom Carr instead.

With Canberra players in support, a try could have been the difference for the Raiders searching for their seventh win of the season. They had beaten Souths 22-16 in Round Nine.

What’s next?

Souths will take on the Warriors at Redfern Oval, while the Raiders will continue their road trip when they take on the Magpies at Lidcombe Oval. Both matches are next Saturday (3 June).


Warriors v Penrith Panthers

Panthers outlast Warriors in Round 13 clash

Richard Becht

The Penrith Panthers outlasted the Warriors to seal a 24-14 victory in today’s Round 13 Knock-On Effect NSW Cup match at Go Media Stadium Mt Smart.

After a loss and a draw in their past two matches on the road, the Warriors were looking to bounce back into winning form at home.

When the Warriors led 10-4 through tries to winger Ali Leiataua and standoff Ben Farr they were heading in the right direction, but the Panthers responded with two tries late in the first half to take a 14-10 advantage into halftime.

Penrith extended the lead to 24-10 before the Warriors closed to 24-14, with a try to centre Viliami Vailea.

With 17 minutes left there was time for the Warriors to close the margin further, but the Panthers closed out the contest for a 10-point victory.

Despite the defeat the Warriors didn’t lose ground on the ladder. with both competition leader North Sydney and second-placed Newtown also losing in Round 13.


St George Illawarra Dragons v Western Suburbs Magpies

Strong second half sees Dragons to victory

Russ Haylock

Game summary

The Western Suburbs Magpies have suffered a fourth consecutive loss in Round 13 of the Knock On Effect NSW Cup, going down 40-20 against St George Illawarra Dragons at Sid Parrish Park in Wollongong.

The Magpies fired out of the gates with three tries inside 15 minutes, but the middle stages of the match were dominated by the hosts as they ran in eight tries to the Magpies’ four. The win was the Dragons’ third on the trot.

After an early penalty the Magpies were over within the first minute of play, as halfback Will Smith and fullback Daine Laurie combined to get centre Tristan Reilly outside his man and over the line.

The Magpies continued to threaten through the middle and found their way over once again through hooker Rua Ngatikaura, burrowing under the posts to score their second inside 10 minutes.

They were over for a third as Smith aimed up for a 40/20, which was batted back in by Treigh Stewart but pounced upon by Reilly to score and put the visitors up by 14.

The hosts capitalised on the Magpies’ ill-discipline in 26th minute, when centre Max Feagai leapt above his opposite number to score out wide. Treigh Stewart was then the next man over for the Dragons, bouncing off defenders and racing down the left-hand side to score in the corner.

St George Illawarra weren’t finished for the half, however, with Paul Turner also bumping away from defenders and scoring to put the Dragons up 16-14 at halftime.

The Dragons stayed on top to begin the second half, with Stewart throwing a cutout ball for winger Alexander Lobb to score untouched, out wide.

Stewart’s scored his second a few minutes later, thanks to a break and pass from young back-rower Dylan Egan to put the Dragons ahead 28-14.

Zach Herring also scored to push the buffer out to 20, before Magpies winger Livai Saukuru helped break their scoring drought to bring the score to 34-20. A late try to Haele Finau sealed the deal for the Dragons, pouncing on a loose ball to secure the 40-20 win.

Talking points

Magpies hooker Rua Ngatikaura was forced from the field midway through the second half with a knee injury.

Zane Musgrove played big minutes, leading from the front alongside his fellow forwards to help the Dragons dominate through the middle.

Alexander Lobb was accurate with the boot, kicking six from seven for the Dragons.

Magpies centre Semisi Kioa placed on report for a shoulder charge during the first half.

Key moment

After his early efforts to save a 40/20 resulted in a Magpies try, Dragons fullback Treigh Stewart’s 50th-minute try to put his team up by 14 had a major role in wrapping up the match. Dylan Egan ran a great line to slice through the Magpies’ line, with Stewart in support to score.

What’s next?

The Dragons take on the Penrith Panthers in Round 14 at BlueBet Stadium on Sunday, while the Magpies look to regain form on Saturday when they take on the Canberra Raiders at Lidcombe Oval.


Newcastle Knights v Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles


Sydney Roosters v Newtown Jets

Roosters and Jets go down to the wire at Wentworth Park

Ella Mullins

Game summary

A second-half revival from the Sydney Roosters secured a 24-23 win over the Newtown Jets at Wentworth Park in Round 13.

Jets winger Samuel Stonestreet scored the opening points with a darting run from 10 metres out. Mawene Hiroti successfully converted for a 6-0 lead.

Only minutes later, Roosters prop Naufahu Whyte carried four Jets defenders over the try-line in the 18thminute, with Sandon Smith’s conversion tying up the game. Roosters fullback Ethan King pounced on Smith’s grubber kick mere moments later, giving their side a 10-6 lead.

Hiroti hit back for Newtown in the 26th minute, attacking the right-hand side and diving into the corner. Hiroti again added to the scoreboard 10 minutes later, getting his second try off the back of a shift from a scrum. He failed to convert the try.

The first 40 minutes ended with Jets halfback Niwhai Puru kicking a field goal right on halftime. The Jets headed into the sheds leading 17-10.

The Jets scored early in the second half when Caleb Uele made a quick offload to Rhys Dakin, who barged over under the posts. Hiroti converted to lead 23-10.

Winger Allan Fitzgibbon helped the Roosters lessen the margin in the 52nd minute, powering over opposite number Josh Mansour to score. Smith converted and brought the score-line to 23-16.

The Roosters next try came from a cross-field kick by Smith, connecting with King to score and close in on the Jets’ lead. They came out victorious when Smith landed a penalty goal with seven minutes remaining.

Talking points

The Newtown Jets’ passing game was well-executed throughout the match, despite the one-point loss.

Jets fullback Mawene Hiroti was one of the standouts for the match, scoring two tries and three goals while making a handful of line-breaks. Hiroti’s efforts were crucial for the Jets’ early success in the contest.

The combination of Ethan King and captain Sandon Smith set the tone for the Roosters’ second-half surge. Their stoic defence and effectiveness in attack paved the way to their one-point victory.

Key moment

The Jets established their intentions early with back-to-back Hiroti tries. This set the stage for a high intensity contest, leaving the Roosters fighting back until securing the lead in the final minutes.

What’s next?

The Roosters travel to Gosford to take on fourth-placed Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, while the Jets have the bye in Round 14.


Acknowledgement of Country

New South Wales Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partner

Major Partners

View All Partners